Thumb Pass

04 Apr 2012 13:26 - 04 Apr 2012 13:28 #53439 by ghaznavid
Thumb Pass was created by ghaznavid
Please provide details of Thumb Pass - I have seen the name on the forum once before, I know nothing about it though :)
Last edit: 04 Apr 2012 13:28 by ghaznavid.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
04 Apr 2012 15:27 #53442 by ghaznavid
Replied by ghaznavid on topic Thumb Pass
Ok, the following is a photo from the contour path looking south at the thumb, I don't see any prospective pass, some info/lines would be helpful!

Please login or register to view the image attached to this post.

More
04 Apr 2012 15:33 #53443 by ghaznavid
Ok, more probable that it is the following, comments please...

More
05 Apr 2012 04:35 #53446 by intrepid
Replied by intrepid on topic Thumb Pass
We did the pass "by accident" in accessing the Thumb. There is a way down on the northern side of the the ridge which leads out to the Thumb, where there is a gully. As said, can be scrambly but we didn't use ropes.

Take nothing but litter, leave nothing but a cleaner Drakensberg.

More
05 Apr 2012 06:11 #53450 by ghaznavid
You don't have photos by any chance? I am always up for unusual routes, but only if I have enough info on them. I can see where I think Thumb Pass is on the map, and the gradient doesn't look too bad, but the gradient on Bannerman Face looks similar and I know that that is a rock face!

On a similar topic, can the Thumb be climbed from the escarpment without the use of ropes or excess difficulty, the reason I ask is that I can see a lot of air between the Thumb and the escarpment from the south side in my Langies Pass pics and I can see air between it and the Bannerman side, thus leading me to believe that it is not completely attached to the escarpment.

More
05 Apr 2012 06:20 - 05 Apr 2012 06:21 #53451 by kliktrak
Replied by kliktrak on topic Thumb Pass
Aah...Ive noticed that gully on the thumb and wondered if it was a doable "pass" - good to know, am keen to try it.
Last edit: 05 Apr 2012 06:21 by kliktrak.

More
05 Apr 2012 06:48 #53452 by ghaznavid
Actually thinking about it, this hike is intended to just be some altitude work before my GT starting the next week, maybe I should not risk a rock gully when a broken toe would stop me from doing the GT...

@Kliktrak: I am up for trying it in summer (when there is no risk of iced up gullies) :)

More
04 Jun 2012 17:17 - 04 Jun 2012 17:46 #54206 by ghaznavid
On Saturday, Kliktrak and I were trying to figure out where Thumb Pass is, can someone confirm if it is this?

Last edit: 04 Jun 2012 17:46 by ghaznavid.

More
04 Jun 2012 17:49 #54207 by ghaznavid
Ok, thinking about it that route also makes no sense - I don't see how you would break through the top rock band. Is it something to do with that small break in the rock band on the north side of Thumb Spur Peak? Can't see where you would go from there though.

More
05 Jun 2012 10:35 - 05 Jun 2012 10:36 #54217 by intrepid
Replied by intrepid on topic Thumb Pass
I've come down from directly below the Thumb before, not really switching back like you've shown. It did require some careful down-climbing in places, but it worked. From what I've seen you can follow the gully pretty much all the way, which would be a "cleaner" route, even though in this pic it doesn't seem that obvious.

Take nothing but litter, leave nothing but a cleaner Drakensberg.
Last edit: 05 Jun 2012 10:36 by intrepid.

More