Cowl Pass

10 Feb 2011 04:37 #2370 by anthony
Cowl Pass was created by anthony
Does anybody know if it is possible to do Cathkin gully in two days staring at monks cowl campsite to Keith bush camp for the first night, then up Cathkin gully down cowl fork to blind mans corner and back to Monks cowl camp on the second day.:dry:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 Feb 2011 08:25 #2374 by SeriousTribe2
Replied by SeriousTribe2 on topic Cowl Pass
Yep

If you are MACHINE.B)

Otherwise 3 might be more comfy.:woohoo:

More
10 Feb 2011 10:54 #2380 by intrepid
Replied by intrepid on topic Cowl Pass
Agree with ST2, 3 days is more like it. The KBC side is longer and more strenuous than what it may look, and the Cowl Fork side is steep, full of loose scree and boulders and fairly treacherous at times - nothing you can quickly descend safely.

I'd also like to establish a proper name for this route (the section between KBC and Cowl Fork campsite), since it doesnt seem to have one, and it goes by different names. "Cathkin gully" for me is too closely linked to Cathkin South Gully climbing route, "Cowl gully" could work, but its not the only gully around the Cowl, and "Cowl Fork" is just half of it. I think too that restricting it to the word "gully" is limiting, because in reality this route is a "pass" - maybe not the ones we are used to in the Berg, but still a proper one in the classic sense. Any suggestions here?

Take nothing but litter, leave nothing but a cleaner Drakensberg.

More
10 Feb 2011 11:16 #2382 by Stijn
Replied by Stijn on topic Cowl Pass
I've always referred to it as going over the Cowl Gap. But Cowl Pass would work better methinks - one of the few actual passes in the Berg!

More
10 Feb 2011 16:33 #2384 by anthony
Replied by anthony on topic Cowl Pass
Thanx for the replies, looks like this is going to be a testing one, after all it is going to be used for our GT shakedown.:ohmy:

I think Cowl pass would be an appropriate name:thumbsup:

More
20 Feb 2011 18:51 #2437 by anthony
Replied by anthony on topic Cowl Pass
Hi guys going up there this weekend, and was wondering if a +5 deg c sleeping bag will be sufficient for Keith bush camp ,or should i just pack in that ice breaker..?

More
20 Feb 2011 23:53 #2438 by zen101
Replied by zen101 on topic Cowl Pass
+5 for KBC is just fine, just stay dry! :)

More
22 Feb 2011 04:52 #2444 by Serious tribe
Replied by Serious tribe on topic Cowl Pass
Agreed, i usually have to unzip my summer bag because i get to hot, even when i am on top in summer.

More
22 Feb 2011 06:32 #2445 by Frosty Ice
Replied by Frosty Ice on topic Cowl Pass
"Cowl gully" is a truley amazing trip and more than worth the effort, def one of my best. We effectively did it in two days, first afternoon to KBC, then champagne and back to KBC - 1 day, then over the neck to cowl fork - 1 day, then back to monks cowl nature office - half a morning.

However please be aware that the route is "dangerous" and there seem to have been a number of incidents. The nature office said they may close the route as it is too dangerous. A members of this forums partner was stuck up there for a night with a broken leg while he went for help.

From KBC to neck is easy rock hoping, 2.5 hours, from the neck down to cowl fork we did in 6 hours. The group was fit but mostly novices included.

Basically there is no path and the gully becomes a kloof, at this stage you are faced with a number of small "waterfalls", we scouted round these on steep grass slopes, but dont go to far round as you will meet the connecting gullys. (This is where the above incident occured. We stayed left almost the entire time.

My advise - take a 20m rope this should solve any issue encountered. I may leave some tat next time, not sure what the rules are on this in the berg?

We did most of it in thick mist and a thunderstorm at the end, all of which added to the fun.

More
22 Feb 2011 12:09 #2446 by tiska
Replied by tiska on topic Cowl Pass
I'm really puzzled by the Cathkin Gully complexity.
Admittedly some time ago now, we went down what I think is this gully (dropping down from Cowl Cave in the valley that leads to Injisuthi and linking left with the contour path and then back to the Cowl station - right?). We were with a bunch of first time berg hikers (whom we'd also taken up Cowl). Some of them were still at school. Anyway, I just can't remember anything difficult. We rattled down the slope, got out onto the ridge on the left and found the contour path. We were at the car by 2 or 3pm in winter. Rope stayed in bag and school girls kept up. Have I got the wrong gully or did we find an easy way down by chance? I've not done the route since.

More