Drakensberg Cable Car

15 Aug 2023 11:17 - 15 Aug 2023 11:18 #78644 by ghaznavid
Replied by ghaznavid on topic Drakensberg Cable Car

I disagree that hikers would be the least impacted. It is obvious to me that it would screw up a key part of Mnweni - a remote and beautiful area.

How often have you visited the valley between Mount Amery and Singati of the escarpment, or the valley by Singati Cave below? The more common line from the chain ladders to Ifidi Cave/Pass doesn't go through there, and unless Inner Tower Gully is considered a pass, there's no pass nearby. You can't see it from most viewpoints on the Amphitheatre either as the Amphithigati Ridge is in the way. Ascents on Inner Tower, Singati Wall or Amery Frontal are partly impacted on, although I doubt any of those routes will be ascended more than once a decade. It is a really interesting spot to visit - and I do recommend visiting it for those who haven't - but its by no means the most interesting spot in the rage.

Part of the selection process included it being sheltered from the wind, which is why its planned to go up the gully between Amery and Singati - which means it likely won't be visible from most angles. As opposed to the upper cableway station on Table Mountain which is clearly visible from 50km away. Its one upside of the proposal - they have picked a non-invasive spot. A much more logical location would have been from Centenary Hut towards Corner Peak - there's an existing road to the bottom allowing for a much shorter (and thus cheaper) cablecar, there's actually something people would want to visit above it - Mafadi - and the views would be far more interesting. It could also be used by GT teams for much easier resupplies. But I'm very happy they aren't pushing for something like that - which would be incredibly invasive to hikers and visible from far away. As would something up the middle of the Saddle, up by Ledgers Cave, Pins Buttress, Fangs etc.

To be clear - I am not in favour of the cable car, but I don't think impact to hikers is a significant concern with the current proposed location. I'm not even worried about litter or erosion because I'm not convinced enough people will use it to cause those kinds of issues - and nothing worse than what we already have via the chain ladders or Sani Pass.

In particular, I am interested to know if the feasibility study and business plan being referenced lately are the ones from 2013 or if there are new or updates ones around. Does anyone know?

I'm also curious about that. The old study had a number of significant assumptions, but with the ZAR at R19 now, plus inflation - construction cost could easily be double what it was 10 years ago. Add to that that the majority of the target market is SA tourists, the gap between the breakeven point and realistic demand has likely grown since then.
Last edit: 15 Aug 2023 11:18 by ghaznavid.
The following user(s) said Thank You: MarkT

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
29 Aug 2023 16:22 - 29 Aug 2023 16:23 #78682 by tiska
Replied by tiska on topic Drakensberg Cable Car

How often have you visited the valley between Mount Amery and Singati of the escarpment, or the valley by Singati Cave below? The more common line from the chain ladders to Ifidi Cave/Pass doesn't go through there, and unless Inner Tower Gully is considered a pass, there's no pass nearby. You can't see it from most viewpoints on the Amphitheatre either as the Amphithigati Ridge is in the way. Ascents on Inner Tower, Singati Wall or Amery Frontal are partly impacted on, although I doubt any of those routes will be ascended more than once a decade. It is a really interesting spot to visit - and I do recommend visiting it for those who haven't - but its by no means the most interesting spot in the rage.

Thanks for your thoughts Ghaz.
In total I have walked that section from Mount Amery and Singati 7 times. Once I walked in the inland valleys leading from Mnweni to Mont-Aux-Sources (i.e. the fast route). I don't like those interior valleys of Lesotho much. They are boring and barren. I do however think that the section near the Singati Wall and Mount Amery is spectacular and I make a point of going that way.

On a related note, the cable way station - were it to be built - is just the start of a phase of development. It is not the end. So the cable way station might be buried in a cutback or part of the escarpment that isn't much frequented, but that won't last. There will soon be a road winding its way in from Lesotho with all sorts of other nonsense to follow.

Last edit: 29 Aug 2023 16:23 by tiska.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More