Commemorative plaque below the Camel

03 Dec 2014 03:47 #62404 by Serious tribe
If this is for the young man that took his life, then Chris is absolutely correct with regards the the difficulty of those left behind.

For someone to take his own life means that they have basically given up and were perhaps clinically depressed. Worldwide, depression rates are running at about 4% and is the second leading cause for disability.

Definitely a kind and considerate approach needs to be taken here.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
03 Dec 2014 07:09 - 03 Dec 2014 07:26 #62405 by diverian
We experience the same issues in scuba diving where people seek to turn reefs into graveyards and memorials with plaques set in large concrete blocks or fixed to the reef, urns of ashes pushed up under overhangs and I have even removed golf balls and bottles of the deceased favourite alcohol.

Rather sponsor a bench on the beach or at the trailhead !
Last edit: 03 Dec 2014 07:26 by diverian.

More
03 Dec 2014 08:41 #62407 by Stretch
I totally agree that the situation in this case must be immense for the family to deal with and this guy obviously chose a place close to his heart...but...it would hold as much sentiment to them if they scattered his ashes at that spot as opposed to leaving a massive eyesore (and I say that with the upmost respect to the family). My cynical self cant help but think that there has been some greasing of palms to enable that plaque to be erected in the first place and that is what really concerns me

More
04 Dec 2014 16:03 - 04 Dec 2014 16:06 #62420 by intrepid
My feeling is that is mostly just that a lot of people are not thinking foremost in their mind that there might be rules, and how important or consequential they may be. So I like to believe and hope that the plaque was put up innocently. Laws and ethics around the idea of wilderness is also not something South Africans are that well aware of, together with the fact that South Africa has less than the the recommended minimum percentage of land that should be set aside to be wilderness. The other plaques that have been put up also set a very bad precedent.

Take nothing but litter, leave nothing but a cleaner Drakensberg.
Last edit: 04 Dec 2014 16:06 by intrepid.

More
15 Dec 2014 10:17 #62481 by vaughncleminson
Just for interest, this is a fairly common problem.
Kruger Park removes them.
www.sanparks.org/parks/kruger/news.php?id=55925?PHPSESSID=ek3seub9j64aup94h2bdt9n4n6
The following user(s) said Thank You: JonWells, Captain

More
15 Dec 2014 23:44 - 17 Dec 2014 14:29 #62488 by ClimbyKel
I agree that many people just do not know the rules, and therefore the matter should simply be handled kindly. It's a sad situation.
Last edit: 17 Dec 2014 14:29 by ClimbyKel.

More
17 Dec 2014 12:36 #62495 by kliktrak
Plaque on the summit of Ntunja [Gatberg] , Monks Cowl area - taken on 07 Dec 2014.

Please login or register to view the images attached to this post.

More
17 Dec 2014 17:47 #62497 by Captain
Apparently he was an Anglican priest from the Free State. Found his details on Anglican SA website.
The following user(s) said Thank You: kliktrak

More
28 Apr 2015 16:12 #63551 by ghaznavid
Walked past the plaque yesterday. Someone has knocked it down (or it has fallen of its own accord, possibly due to wind)

Please login or register to view the image attached to this post.

More