Sterkhorn

22 May 2012 15:44 #54007 by Sterkhorn
Replied by Sterkhorn on topic Sterkhorn
Hi Gezza

I know of no specific map of the hike, but the following thread that I posted previously may be of assistance:
Sterkhorn

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
23 May 2012 15:25 #54034 by Gezza
Replied by Gezza on topic Sterkhorn
I hope this is not seen as an ambush, and I apologise upfront if it is, but I am planning to climb/scramble/hike Sterkhorn next weekend, and was wondering whether there is a map available?

More
23 May 2012 20:09 #54035 by intrepid
Replied by intrepid on topic Sterkhorn
You need the hiking map No.2 of the uKhahlamba Drakensberg Park map series. They normally stock them at the Monks Cowl office so you could buy it on the day of your hike, or have a look in hiking shops before the time. The maps are useful but they wont help you much on the peak itself...Sterkhorn's notes and pictures on this thread will be far more useful.

Take nothing but litter, leave nothing but a cleaner Drakensberg.

More
24 May 2012 08:03 #54045 by Gezza
Replied by Gezza on topic Sterkhorn
Thanks a lot Intrepid!

More
14 Jan 2013 15:06 #55859 by Hermann
Replied by Hermann on topic Sterkhorn
We went to Monks Cowl for the weekend to climb Sterkhorn Saturday and then camp at bottom somewhere.We hiked in mist and sometimes drizzle,spent the whole Saturday afternoon in tents. Rain came down heavy.

Sunday morning it was misty,we left at 9 for Sterkhorn.I love hiking up this peak! We reached the North summit at 11:30. We were above the clouds,what a fantastic feeling! My 4th time and I'll never get tired of this one,love taking folk up for there 1st time!

Please login or register to view the image attached to this post.

The following user(s) said Thank You: HFc

More
08 Apr 2013 18:12 - 08 Apr 2013 18:13 #56585 by DionB
Replied by DionB on topic Sterkhorn
Hey guys, i'm quite new to the forum but i'd like to help with this if i may.
GPX track of the climb we did yesterday. The critical left turn is marked as a way point. The other one to watch is the one i called Hayley's rock. Because we nearly lost Hayley there. :) It's a "skirt around a rock that does not have good grip. I've noticed that there is an anchor above the rock and i may put a rope in there next time for my son. He's only 11 and has done it twice, first time at 8 so it's not too difficult. Watch for snakes. There was a lot yesterday.

PS>. The cross is broken. Would be cool if someone took a new one up. I'm just saying... :D

Please login or register to view the file attached to this post.

Last edit: 08 Apr 2013 18:13 by DionB.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ghaznavid, Vynbos

More
08 Apr 2013 18:59 #56590 by ghaznavid
Replied by ghaznavid on topic Sterkhorn
Welcome to the forum!

Nice - I'm always happy to hear when people take youngsters into the mountains, so many people in the modern world just let their children grow up in front of the TV and computer with no real experiences of what is really out there.

I'll be stealing that GPX track when I do Sterhorn in the near future :thumbsup:

More
10 Apr 2013 03:46 - 10 Apr 2013 03:47 #56608 by DionB
Replied by DionB on topic Sterkhorn
Thanks Sterkhorn. I'm really enjoying this forum, some very nice people here and very useful information.
I agree, we need to get the laaities out more more often otherwise they'll be stuck to their computers all the time. I'll post some pics of our walk. We wanted to try and climb it in one day from Monks Cowl office and back. It's very do-able but the legs are sore now.. :D
Last edit: 10 Apr 2013 03:47 by DionB.

More
10 Apr 2013 19:31 #56636 by Hermann
Replied by Hermann on topic Sterkhorn
Yip cant agree more,I try to take my sons (13 and 16) on as many trips as possible. And they always enjoy it. We camped at Monks Cowl,got up early and left about 5am...enough time for Sterkhorn. Also camped at bottom of Sterkhorn,on first little hill,away from the many dayhikers

More
10 Apr 2013 19:39 #56637 by ghaznavid
Replied by ghaznavid on topic Sterkhorn
Cool - so it looks like myself and Hobbit are climbing Sterkhorn on Saturday :woohoo:

More