Mount Durnford

20 May 2015 08:47 #63857 by Riaang
Replied by Riaang on topic Mount Durnford
Ghaz, looking at your photo from above it actually looks completely differnet from the one taken from below. The one from below looks like the low step starts right at the bottom, so thanks for the additional info. I presume the Southern side is very easy as nothing is mentioned about this side in any of the write-ups.

Boy, wishing it was time to go, all this planning makes me want to go today! :)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
20 May 2015 09:03 #63858 by ghaznavid
Replied by ghaznavid on topic Mount Durnford

Riaang wrote: I presume the Southern side is very easy as nothing is mentioned about this side in any of the write-ups.

I wouldn't say easy, but there isn't a 2km+ long cliff to avoid, so navigationally it is easy. The southern side is a big steep drop down to the river in the valley. I usually stay close to the escarpment edge, tag the top of South Jarding Pass (which doesn't look like a pass from the top - there is a summit cairn though), and from the top of the pass I aim for the river. I know some people stay closer to the escarpment edge for longer - but you only save a bit of altitude and end up walking further.

Once you hit the river in the valley, just follow its gentle uphill slope (there is even a good trail in places) - eventually the river dies (there are hundred of good camping spots on this river - all within reach of the car park via Giants Pass in a day, with roughly a 3PM finish) and the small hill in front of you is the top of the Long Wall ridge. I have done that ridge N-S 3 times and S-N once - incredibly easy N-S and very steep and long S-N!

Finding Giants Pass from there is about as difficult as finding paint in an art shop - you just have to have a vague idea of what you are looking for and not end up taking the alternative gully (which is probably usable, but I am not 100% sure).

Ok - I have considerably over-answered the question :laugh:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More