GPS Co-ordinates of Passes in the Drakensberg

25 Jul 2008 14:30 - 04 Apr 2019 19:49 #102 by no4stopper
This thread discusses the Content article: GPS Co-ordinates of Passes in the Drakensberg

The table of Drakensberg pass coordinates does not seem to state the datum used. Drakensberg Hiking maps are based on Cape datum, while the default setting in most GPS units appears to be WGS84. While it may not introduce a large error in the Drakensberg it does need to be clarified so that people know what they are working with.
Last edit: 04 Apr 2019 19:49 by intrepid. Reason: updated link

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
25 Jul 2008 15:03 #103 by intrepid
It is stated right at the top of the table.

All data on this site will be based on the WGS84 datum, and yes, agreed, it should always be stated wherever the data appears to avoid confusion.

WGS84 is more modern and universal than the Cape datum and we have thus followed this trend. The government survey maps seem to be following this trend too and I've heard rumours that the Berg hiking maps will also be updated.

Something else to note is that we currently use the Lat/Lon hddd°mm.mmm'grid as this seems to be the most common among published Berg GPS data and takes it's lead from the hiking and suvery maps. It could be argued that the UTM grid is more user friendly and informative, but for the sake of consistency we will stick to what the maps use. It is very easy to convert that data anyway.

Take nothing but litter, leave nothing but a cleaner Drakensberg.

More
25 Jan 2009 19:54 #274 by diverian
Does anyone have a track for the South Fork of Ships Prow Pass?

More
25 Jan 2009 20:44 #275 by intrepid
I wasn't actively tracking at the time when I was on the South Fork with my GPS - so all I have is a few crucial waypoints of it. I do however have a track of the North Fork which would include the long, arduous bit from the contour path up to where the two split. I'll post this as soon as I can, it'll be of some help.

If anyone does have a track of the South Fork, feel free to send it in, I'll publish it with full credits in the downloads section, as we've already started doing. My email address is chris at this website name dot com (I dont spell it out because of spam issues), or just send a PM to get hold of me.

Take nothing but litter, leave nothing but a cleaner Drakensberg.

More
12 Jun 2022 09:45 #77769 by mach1
Hi is there a specific GT GPS route avail?

More
17 Jun 2022 11:09 #77790 by Riaang
Hi Mach1

Yes, there is a GT download (more than one if I remember correctly) under the downloads section on this website.

More