Bond Pass

08 Jun 2014 09:17 - 08 Jun 2014 09:48 #61022 by ghaznavid
Bond Pass was created by ghaznavid
So yesterday a team of us had a shot at Bond Pass. Weather was absolutely perfect, not a cloud in the sky, and only a slight breeze.

The summary of the route is as follows:
There are basically 3 phases of the pass:
1) The lower level before the first major cliff line is quite easy, not very steep, very wide, so you can pick basically any line you want to
2) From the first cliff line to near the summit you consistently cross back and forth across the gully to find the best lines around the cliffs. This part is very steep in places - it actually reminds me of Tsepeng Pass in some ways. You can usually take either side of the gully as there are plenty of grass slopes, but sometimes choosing the wrong side got us into quite exposed positions. This section could get tricky in the mist.
3) The top section is where the pass gets a bit more difficult. With hours of searching you could probably find a better line than what we used, but ours worked just fine. You need to traverse to the left (true right) of the gully where a grassy ledge is found. The highest of the 2 grass ledges should be taken. From here you traverse around towards the gully on a relatively narrow grass ledge. You have to drop down a bit on this ledge to get the easiest line - at the corner there is a part where the ledge disappears for about 10cm with heavy exposure, but it is large enough on either side that it doesn't really matter. Once you are around this corner and above the large smooth cliff that looks like it prevents you from getting to the top of the pass - you simply walk up the obvious grassy slope till you reach the final bit of gently sloping rock which you simply walk up with the occasional requirement of using your hands (it isn't very steep though).

The pass is probably a difficulty 4, perhaps it may be a rock pass due to the traverse ledge and rock scramble at the top, but none of us had to take off our packs to get up, so by VE definition it would be no more than a rock pass (as opposed to a Rock Pass or ROCK pass). The only reason the pass may warrant a difficulty rating of higher than 4 would be the fact that navigation on the pass can be tricky. In clear weather its not too bad, but in the mist it would be incredibly difficult. A GPS may be helpful, but with the number of cliffs around, mine was not working from about 2700m.

I would rate the pass as worthwhile for someone looking for something different. The nature of the line is definitely not what I'm used to in a pass, while you spend all your time in a gully, you really have to choose your line well. E.g. Gypaetus Pass is worth it for the views ahead of anything else (as well as the fact that the line is unusual), but this pass is worthwhile for the fact that it is quite different as far as far as gully passes go. I.e. this is a pass for someone looking for something challenging, but not necessarily requiring a great degree of fitness.

As far as the first ascent claim - looking at the pass from below, we were doubtful as to whether or not the top rocky bit could be navigated without technical climbing. We had some nuts and rope with us just in case, although we never even considered using them in the end. The peaks on either side of the pass have been climbed frontally, so climbers have definitely been in the general area, but I have seen no reason to suspect that anyone has actually used this pass before. There was a plastic bag on the route (probably blown off the top)), and what may be trails (probably animal tracks) - but these are unlikely to indicate local use. I'd like to think this was a first ascent, with so many passes in this valley, I can't see any reason why a sane person would have bothered exploring this gully - but you never know.

This brings the total number of passes that top out between the Durnford and Senqebethu ridges to 6:
- Thumb Pass
- North Hlubi
- South Hlubi
- Langies
- Bond Pass
- North Jarding

I am not aware of any further possible lines one could take to reach this escarpment valley without using the summit of one of the above passes. There may be an alternative approach on Thumb Pass from the south side, but this would still use the same summit gully and thus would not be a separate pass. In other words - for the moment I can leave this valley alone until such a time as someone decides to prove me wrong...
Last edit: 08 Jun 2014 09:48 by ghaznavid.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Serious tribe

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
08 Jun 2014 09:28 - 08 Jun 2014 09:56 #61023 by ghaznavid
Replied by ghaznavid on topic Bond Pass
A diagram of the 3 phases referred to above:

How to get through the top section as seen from the contour path. The ledge isn't clearly visible until you are right near it:

Some photos from the route itself

We approached the gully from the south:

You spend lots of your time walking around cliffs. This pass requires a fair amount of planning as you go along, but there are a few clear routes through most sections

This is an example of what the rock bands usually look like. We passed this to the right (true left), but it would have probably been easier to pass to the left.

It is imporant to do this pass 1 cliff line at a time, but with an eye to what is higher up. The line to get up this pass is never really apparent until you are near the problem at hand. If you do it step by step, its not too difficulty.

There are a few minor scree fields along the way, but they are small and easy to avoid

This is the top obstacle. The ledge I referred to above and tried to draw a line showing is much easier to spot from here. The circle is "Fresca" Cave - why Fresca? Because its really nothing! You could get 2 people into it (perhaps even 3), but you would only use it in an emergency, its not a nice cave (although it does have a flat floor):

Going around the corner above the large cliff near the top:

Looking back down the pass:

The inside of Fresca Cave. I am kneeling down due to the low roof, and I am partly under the shleter of the roof.

The final section - this requires an easy bit of scrambling

The summit cairn built by Hobbit - if its not clearly visible, note the large shaddow off it. Standing at the top it doesn't really look like there is a pass down there

Ps. We returned via Langies (just trying to do something different :P ) - we had to follow the river behind the Carbineers for quite some time before there was any running water. There was plenty of ice in the rivers as well, some of it was very thick. There was also some snow left in the shadows and the top of the waterfall at the bottom of Langies was frozen.

We reached the car around 8PM in the end.

Please login or register to view the images attached to this post.

Last edit: 08 Jun 2014 09:56 by ghaznavid.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Serious tribe, diverian, Stijn, kliktrak, Balthazar1, brio, Smurfatefrog, tonymarshall, pfoj

More
08 Jun 2014 13:32 - 08 Jun 2014 13:36 #61024 by andrew r
Replied by andrew r on topic Bond Pass
Nice going Ghaz; who were the others in your team (obviously apart from you & Hobbit)?

p.s. useful detail in your report and great pics well annotated (is that a word? I mean I like the route & stuff you added)

make a difference. today.
Last edit: 08 Jun 2014 13:36 by andrew r.

More
08 Jun 2014 13:39 #61025 by Stijn
Replied by Stijn on topic Bond Pass
Nice one Ghaz! Looks like a fun route.

More
08 Jun 2014 18:37 - 08 Jun 2014 18:43 #61026 by Viking
Replied by Viking on topic Bond Pass
@ andrew r: the other members were myself and my brother Jacques (not on VE)
kliktrak was also there but unfortunately had to turn around as his hammy was playing up.

Viking and Ghaz plotting a route

Team shot at the head of the pass

Long shadows while still at the top of Langies

Langies waterfall and pool

(Above photos courtesy of Jacques Dreyer)

Here is the gps track from the car park to the top.

“Today is your day! Your mountain is waiting, So… get on your way!”

Please login or register to view the file attached to this post.

Last edit: 08 Jun 2014 18:43 by Viking.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Serious tribe, diverian, JonWells, kliktrak, ghaznavid, Smurfatefrog, tonymarshall, andrew r

More
09 Jun 2014 09:34 - 09 Jun 2014 09:38 #61030 by kliktrak
Replied by kliktrak on topic Bond Pass
Yeah I'm really disappointed that I did not make it :thumbsdown: , was really amped to be part of a "new" pass opening.

I ended up doing 18km round trip in the lower berg, took in some interesting sights:

Patches of snow still to be found in the shaded gulleys and deeper footpaths:

Snow-flake pattern in this plant:

Icicles

Icicles

Berg Adder - I think its trying to swallow the end of its own tail, not sure if it bit the tail off, or it came off some other way.
The body is not distended so it doesn't seem to be a lizard that its caught...

Last edit: 09 Jun 2014 09:38 by kliktrak.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Serious tribe, JonWells, Balthazar1, ghaznavid

More
13 Dec 2017 07:20 #72487 by tonymarshall
Replied by tonymarshall on topic Bond Pass
My wife and I spent the September long weekend at Giant’s Castle camp, where we enjoyed some easy walks, and on the Sunday I did a solo circuit up Bond Pass and down South Hlubi Pass.

Unlike the other group in the previous write up, I used Langalibalele Ridge to access Bond Pass, approaching from the north. It was a misty morning and I was mindful of the comments made by ghaz that the middle section of the pass could be tricky in the mist. The photo below shows the view back down the path up Langalibalele Ridge in the mist.

I turned left along the Contour Path, following it south and crossing the stream of Langalibalele Pass, and just under 1½ km from the Langalibalele Pass path I found myself at the gully of Bond Pass. The photo below shows the gully at the Contour Path, looking upwards into the mist. There is a low ridge up the centre of the gully, with a small valley on either side.

Following the low ridge seemed to be the logical thing to do, so I stayed on it heading up into the mist.

When the ridge ended, I continued up in the wide valley, the grass was quite wet but I could see that I would soon break through the mist as I approached the lower cliff line.

The mist was swirling about and didn’t co operate, and it was only much higher that I broke through above it, and it disappeared at my level, leaving me to realise that I was at the height of the grass ledge which would lead me up and around the large smooth cliff described by ghaz. The view to the south was fantastic, with the lower peaks below Giant’s Castle visible in the photo below, and I was sorry not to have seen this view from lower down.

I had negotiated the grass ledge system through the lower cliffs quite easily in the mist, and was passing the left upper edge of the large smooth cliff.

The photo below shows a view back down the gully I had ascended, from above the large smooth cliff.

The following user(s) said Thank You: Andreas

More
13 Dec 2017 08:01 #72488 by tonymarshall
Replied by tonymarshall on topic Bond Pass
There were still several minor rock bands above, which were easy to pass through using the grass ledges on either side. I went around the one in the photo below on the left (true right).

Then I did a bit of a traverse to the right (true left) back to the gully, around the corner which ghaz also referred to.

Once back in the gully the final slope to the top of the pass came into view.

A view back down the pass from high above the cloud, and view south along the escarpment.

Some easy scrambling to the top of the pass.

The view back down the gully from the top of Bond Pass.

I thought it appropriate to take a summit photo with Bond peak, after which the pass is named, in the background on the left. Potterill is the peak partially obscured behind Bond, and Mount Durnford is on the right.

The following user(s) said Thank You: elinda, Stijn, JonWells, ghaznavid, Andreas, WarrenM

More