Ledgers Pass, a New Pass in the Mweni

28 Aug 2018 13:04 - 28 Aug 2018 13:06 #73895 by Grandeur

tonymarshall wrote: Well done guys, I've been meaning to check this out for a few years too. Now I have a route guide to follow.

I remember standing at the head of this pass with you and saying it looks doable. We even agreed the route probably wouldn’t be straight down the gully but along a ridge line half way down. 

Glad someone did it and documented it now. 

Well done guys 
Last edit: 28 Aug 2018 13:06 by Grandeur.
The following user(s) said Thank You: tonymarshall

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
28 Aug 2018 14:31 #73896 by Sabine
Yes I also remember the talk of that route when we were up there.  Glad its been documented and another one to try now.  Hope the track will be posted in the downloads. 

Well done guys!

More
28 Aug 2018 16:12 #73898 by SeriousTribe2
You think you could point out the gully on GE? There are not too many between there and Mweni that appear too accessible...

Not sure re the name, but besides building terminology there is also the slab over a tomb option.

More
28 Aug 2018 16:15 #73899 by SeriousTribe2
LOL

Sorry Sabine. Someone with one of those gadgets is going to have to log a 'track download' - there was no tech.

More
30 Aug 2018 04:55 #73904 by AndrewP
Well done guys. That ridge looks really cool !

More
30 Aug 2018 13:22 #73905 by Dave
Looks like a great route!

On the topic of alternative routes in this area, does anyone know anything about the valley over the ridge from the Mnweni (marked in red below)?

The first time I visited the Mnweni I went up this valley by accident, and there was a clear path (barred at the start by two crossed logs, which should have been a sign) that went quite far up the valley before it petered out in the bush. A path to a climbing route on the Needles, perhaps?

Please login or register to view the image attached to this post.

More
30 Aug 2018 13:25 - 30 Aug 2018 13:30 #73906 by Viking

SeriousTribe2 wrote: You think you could point out the gully on GE? There are not too many between there and Mweni that appear too accessible...

I got picked up where the white cross is in the middle of the map screen shot below.. The rescue was slightly higher up nearer the rock band.
Mnweni Pass is in the lower portion of the shot.

Two screen shots of a video I took while the aircraft was refueling and I had descended lower to a better pick up point.
Towards Mnweni Pass

Straight back up the hill I had descended - rescue pick-up was near the rock band..

“Today is your day! Your mountain is waiting, So… get on your way!”

Please login or register to view the images attached to this post.

Last edit: 30 Aug 2018 13:30 by Viking.

More
30 Aug 2018 17:16 #73908 by ghaznavid

Dave wrote: On the topic of alternative routes in this area, does anyone know anything about the valley over the ridge from the Mnweni (marked in red below)?

Let's put it this way :-)
www.vertical-endeavour.com/forum/11-drakensberg-passes/56169-mponjwane-pass.html
www.vertical-endeavour.com/forum/11-drakensberg-passes/56328-mnweni-needles-pass.html
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dave

More
31 Aug 2018 10:47 #73912 by Dave
Thanks, Ghaz. No pass listed on the map (I know many passes aren't), otherwise I would've searched!

More
31 Aug 2018 15:39 #73915 by firephish
must be an Interesting story, what where you trying to end up there?

Viking wrote:
I got picked up where the white cross is in the middle of the map screen shot below.. The rescue was slightly higher up nearer the rock band.
Mnweni Pass is in the lower portion of the shot.

More