Spare Rib Cave

22 Jul 2019 16:07 #75177 by Riaang
Replied by Riaang on topic Spare Rib Cave
Hi Stephenv,

It is very easy to find (in good viz). You can also obtain the gps coordinates on VE itself should viz be bad like in mist or rain.
You can easily spot the caves when standing at Bannermans hut. As you look up the pass they are on the left of the pass, in that rockband as in the pick above. There are 2 caves, the first one is not the one you want to sleep in, walk through it to the deeper one of the two. This cave is very often wet with drips, so maybe not a bad idea to take a bivvy/survival bag along. Note where the caves are as at some point, as you get closer to them they will dissappear from view, due to the steepness of the terrain and your position changing (you will now walk past them as you will be entering the narrower section of the pass).

They are sort of just below the part where the pass starts narrowing as you ascend. 

Enjoy!!!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
26 Jul 2019 18:17 - 26 Jul 2019 18:21 #75192 by ryan.karate
Replied by ryan.karate on topic Spare Rib Cave
Funniest/worst memory of a winter berg mission in 2015 I think.... Found Spare rib cave in the thick mist, approached above.... Had the worst nights sleep... Got dripped on, wind and mist pummelled my face throughout the night. Told myself I will never sleep in this cave again.... Woke up in the morning with eye bags and wondered around only to find the massive  dry, deep, flat, non windy hotel next door!!!!!!! (Kicks self in head)...
Last edit: 26 Jul 2019 18:21 by ryan.karate.

More
29 Jul 2019 10:54 #75193 by Riaang
Replied by Riaang on topic Spare Rib Cave
:-) :-) :-)

Had a similar type of experience years ago. First time up Grays pass, got there late, couldn't find KBC, slept at the foot of the pass amidst VERY lumpy grasses, and it was sloping downwards as well so we had to crawl up in the tent the WHOLE night. We started our ascent early the next morning, still dark, and when we got about 150 - 200m ASL up we stopped for a breather and looked back down, at a perfectly flat and level KBC barely 100m from our camping spot. To say Sanet was unhappy with me would be a large understatement!!!!!! The fact that the GPS coordinate was incorrect did not help my defense in any way either (Cape Datum vs WGS 84, in the days when I didn't know the difference).

More