Trees in EKZNW campsites

16 Oct 2018 12:52 - 17 Oct 2018 07:55 #74125 by Richard Hunt
I will put this under the Pine Tree Topic as this is where I am heading;
We have just returned from Lotheni and have found out that all exotic trees in the Drakensberg Park are to be cut down. All the trees around Simes Cottage...

These Cedar trees are as old as the historic Simes Cottage ( never mind the Gelib Acacia tree) When I was 20 years old we parked under the Cedar trees for shade while hiking....

Most of the trees around the chalets and staff accommodation, including the old oaks will be cut down. Even the fruit trees around the rangers house. The shade will disappear!
Imagine Injishuti Camp without trees around the chalets!

Maybe some are in favor of cutting all the trees down and some against, but my question is:
These trees pose no threat to the Drakensberg Park and create shade to visitors, so why cut them down!
Indigenous trees will take too long to create enough shade for visitors.

WHY DONT THEY FOCUS ALL RESOURCES ON CUTTING DOWN THE PINE AND WATTLE TREES WHICH HAVE GOT TOTALLY OUT OF HAND AND RAPIDLY SPREADING (VERGELEGEN IS ALREADY A LOST CAUSE DUE TO WATTLE INVASION)
For me this is a sad day, what do others on VE think of this?

Please login or register to view the images attached to this post.

Last edit: 17 Oct 2018 07:55 by JonWells. Reason: Embedded missing image

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
17 Oct 2018 07:44 - 17 Oct 2018 07:45 #74130 by firephish
Replied by firephish on topic Trees in EKZNW campsites
Agreed, imagine if they cut down the poplars @Injisuthi ... would be a tragedy.

the current environmental fundamentalism in SA is difficult to understand, same with the plans to eradicate trout, pretty short sighted, and will do huge damage to number of visitors to parks i would imagine.
Last edit: 17 Oct 2018 07:45 by firephish.

More
17 Oct 2018 13:01 #74131 by Dave
Replied by Dave on topic Trees in EKZNW campsites
This is sad to hear, Richard. Who informed you? Perhaps we can start a petition and submit it to the right people.

More
18 Oct 2018 10:42 #74132 by ghaznavid
Replied by ghaznavid on topic Trees in EKZNW campsites
I'm going to disagree with that - there is a lot of harm in having alien trees right by the protected area. Trees spread, the only way to eradicate alien invasives is to remove them all.

The short term lack of shade isn't ideal, and it will take a while for indigenous trees to grow - but if we don't start the process today, when exactly should it start? As the old saying goes "the best time to plant a tree is 20 years ago, second best is today".

My 2c worth.

More
19 Oct 2018 11:46 #74136 by firephish
Replied by firephish on topic Trees in EKZNW campsites
This is all assuming its true that a decision has been made to cut down all exotic trees in KZN wildlife parks (not that this would even be possible).

I guess, as with anything in life, the problem comes when you try to apply a blanked decision to everything.

For example, pines are clearly a problem throughout the 'berg and need to be dealt with. On the other had, those exotics have been present at what is now injisuthi camp for more than 70 years, but i have yet to see one outside of the immediate camp area, so they would not appear to be invasive in this area, as least to me. Applying the same action to both would seem to be cutting off ones nose to spite your face, since many would argue injisuthi is the most beautiful KZNwildlife camp, and those majestic trees contribute significantly to that view.

Anyway, since i have been vising Injisuthi almost every year since 1987, i would be deeply upset by such an action (maybe its just me).

More
20 Oct 2018 11:00 #74137 by Richard Hunt
@Dave....   A petition wont work as they have already started at Lotheni. We have booked Simes cottage for January 2019 and I was told that by then all the trees would have been cut down in the camp, staff and chalet areas. The one Plane tree at Simes cottage is important for vehicle shade and especially hail. The chalets/buildings are in desperate need of maintenance and the wattle/pine invasion should be priority one! 

More
21 Oct 2018 06:35 #74138 by intrepid
Replied by intrepid on topic Trees in EKZNW campsites
It would be good to have more info and background on how the decision was reached. As for priorities, yes, even with a decision for all alien vegetation to be removed, I think that the invading wattle, pine and bramble would be far more urgent and worth the resources available.

Take nothing but litter, leave nothing but a cleaner Drakensberg.

More
01 Nov 2018 10:37 #74154 by GriffBaker
Replied by GriffBaker on topic Trees in EKZNW campsites
This is very sad.

More
06 Nov 2018 13:00 - 06 Nov 2018 13:06 #74173 by Richard Hunt
This photo shows the Cobham Camp Site and the felling has begun. Under the large Cypress trees at the back of the photo are the Mountain Backpackers Club on their annual camp out. These Cypress trees are next to be cut down and then where are the campers going to find shade? Would you camp at Cobham in summer without shade, especially families with young children? Hopefully they will wake up and put all effort and expense into eradicating the spread of pines and wattles like the Pine Tree Project does! The future of the Drakensberg is threatened by pine and wattle invasion in the mountains and not by non invasive shade trees at the resorts and campsites!

Please login or register to view the image attached to this post.

Last edit: 06 Nov 2018 13:06 by Richard Hunt.
The following user(s) said Thank You: tonymarshall, Herman

More
07 Nov 2018 08:06 #74176 by JonWells
Replied by JonWells on topic Trees in EKZNW campsites
That is ridiculous!

More