Snow Watch 2011

03 Jan 2011 20:54 #2138 by intrepid
Snow Watch 2011 was created by intrepid
This is the official thread for Snow Watch 2011. Feel free to post pictures, information, questions and reports about the snow conditions in the Drakensberg for 2011. The idea is to keep track of the snowfalls, pool information about where the snow is for those that want to go see it, and simply to have a place to express the joy and experiences you may have had if you have witnessed the grandeur of the Dragon clothed in white.

Historical Snow Watch threads:

Take nothing but litter, leave nothing but a cleaner Drakensberg.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 Apr 2011 14:29 #2690 by intrepid
Replied by intrepid on topic Snow Watch 2011
Snow on the Berg over the weekend: what's the bet??

More
12 Apr 2011 15:09 #2691 by JonWells
Replied by JonWells on topic Snow Watch 2011
Hah, thought you were just taking a flyer there Intrepid, but I see there is a chance of precipitation and freezing levels falling to 3300m on Sunday, so there may be a chance!

More
12 Apr 2011 16:52 #2692 by anthony
Replied by anthony on topic Snow Watch 2011
I see that,and we start the GT on monday looks like an interesting start for us.

More
13 Apr 2011 06:53 #2693 by Aux
Replied by Aux on topic Snow Watch 2011
Hopefully it snows befor next weekend. My wife have never hiked in snow so it will be nice to see how she finds it. Cant wait. Mountan-forcast had predicted snow now for n few weeks but nothing happend so far. Hopefully we will be lucky in a few days time.

More
17 Apr 2011 16:38 #2724 by Chappies
Replied by Chappies on topic Snow Watch 2011
Just got back from a trip up Mike's Pass over Cleft Peak and down Mhlambonja. We had some sleet on Friday 15th with a little snow in patches in the shadows. It was pretty cold, dropping to 1 C in my tent.

More
18 Apr 2011 06:37 #2725 by MountainGoat
Replied by MountainGoat on topic Snow Watch 2011
Sounds great! Starting my northern half traverse on friday morning. Will definitely be packing my Ice Breaker B)

More
05 May 2011 10:02 #2803 by intrepid
Replied by intrepid on topic Snow Watch 2011
Was really impressed by the early ice formation in the Southern Berg last weekend. Water conditions are still plentiful in the Berg, and with the recent cold spell some substantial ice formation has already occurred. We encountered thick ice in the gullies as low as 2500m! All across the High Berg cliffs we could see white streaks where streams, trickles and small waterfalls have frozen. While on the escarpment we also had very light snow/sleet in the form of ice crystals occasionally falling around us. These were still visible among the grass in some shady place the next day.

Don't know about the rest of you, but I am not used to this much ice forming this early in the year.

More
05 May 2011 10:18 #2805 by Errol
Replied by Errol on topic Snow Watch 2011
A mate of mine went up Sani on the weekend, reported frozen waterfalls and streams.

More
05 May 2011 11:28 #2806 by JonWells
Replied by JonWells on topic Snow Watch 2011
About a week ago I saw that Underberg recorded -4°C. I checked the records for the past few years, and it usually only reaches this around the end of May, so its about a month early. Also the SAWS noted that on 28 April there were 20 record cold temperatures recorded for the month of April at various weather stations around the country.

Please login or register to view the file attached to this post.

More