How about a Berg photo "quiz"?

19 Nov 2018 15:43 #74229 by swordfish

Riaang wrote: Oops, wrong one - couldn't resist the temptation ;-)

Here is the real one

Ledgers pass going down. 

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 Nov 2018 16:42 #74231 by Stijn
Yeah, that's the Mnweni Cutback from an unusually far-away angle, so I'd agree with Ledger's Pass.

More
19 Nov 2018 17:05 #74233 by ghaznavid
The giveaway that it is from Ledger's Pass is the buttress between Manxome and Pins Pass - I don't know of another set of passes in that configuration. The fissure up the middle is also very distinctive (and a pain to walk around when you try to follow the escarpment edge around the cutback).

More
20 Nov 2018 11:26 #74244 by Riaang
Correct, it was taken from Ledges pass. The exact spot was where you pass the last rocky sections, just before you start the descent on the rolling ridges. Quite an unusual angle, which makes for an interesting image.

More
20 Nov 2018 11:47 #74245 by Serious tribe
Nice to see the pass being used.  Did you enjoy it?  How would you rate the rock section near the top?

More
20 Nov 2018 13:39 #74247 by Riaang
@ Serious tribe: I really enjoyed the pass, and it is definitely my new go-to pass for a quick descend down to the Mnweni valley rather than Mnweni pass. Mnweni pass was properly eroded when I last did it in 2017 and I'm sure it wouldn't have improved since. I'll do a proper write-up soon, but just a quick comment on the top section here. Oh, and I have the track as well, although this is such an easy pass you don't really need it.

The top, as you mentioned in your article on Ledges pass only really has the one exposed obstacle. I studied your photos and just below and to the left of where you guys crossed over the exposed section from the right to the left, there is a grassy section that looked easier to navigate. The one guy in our group went down the way you guys went up (i.e. staying on the right as you would ascend and then crossed over the exposed section to the left) and he commented that it was definitely more difficult than the grassy gully. The grassy gully is properly steep (although it certainly doesn't look so steep when viewed from below, and I am sure it would be much easier to climb up it, rather than descend like we did. Lots of strong berg grasses to hold onto so even if you slipped you could arrest your fall fairly easily. The trickiest part for me was to know when to eventually exit the scree section to move out to the right on to the ridge. 
The following user(s) said Thank You: Serious tribe

More