Dragons Wrath 2008

29 Oct 2008 14:15 #206 by Christine
Replied by Christine on topic Dragons Wrath 2008
I am a member of the Mountain Backpackers Club and have hiked on a number of occasions with Luciano, including completing the last 2 Grand Traverses with him. There will be a tribute to him tomorrow evening at the Whirling Wheels Clubhouse in Durban. His funeral takes place in Amanzimtoti on Friday at 2pm. Luciano was a wonderful man; an experienced hiker and exceptionally knowledgeable of the Berg. He will be remembered for his kindness, endearing personality, sense of humour, his incredible strength and stamina and most of all for the constant smile he wore on his face.
He will be sorely missed.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
03 Nov 2008 21:51 #208 by domsmooth
Replied by domsmooth on topic Dragons Wrath 2008
Hi Christine.

As Vertical Endeavour we sympathise with your loss. Not so long ago (just over a month) I lost a friend who worked with me at Ezemvelo KZN Wildlife. He was a brilliant ecologist who died in an aeroplane crash on the coast of Mozambique. It was a very hard time for us all as James was also very similar to how you describe Luciano. Always smiling, always apparently happy, although the weight of the world might be on his shoulders, he still found time to find a smile. It seems so insane that the world should be robbed of people like that, and yet, the challenge is there for us who remember them, and who remain, to emulate something of the rich deposit they left in us as people, and pass that on to the world around us, so that in some way they may be remembered for the impact they had on us, whether by living or dying.

Again, our desire is for no further loss of life in the Berg, and yet, at least Luciano was doing something he loved! Our thoughts and prayers are with you and his family as you all deal with this loss.

Lets all help maintain the values for which the Berg was proclaimed a World Heritage Site

More
11 Nov 2008 12:55 #216 by bergbees
Replied by bergbees on topic Dragons Wrath 2008
Very sad to hear about the loss of life in the berg.

We hiked up the Camel Route in September. And even though it had not rained for bit, that section around Castle Butress is not good, being on the south side it stays damp. It would be the most likely place to slip. if I remember there are 2 places where extream coution needs to be taken. I was walking behind my wife and there were a few tense moments as we crossed those sections.

More
19 Nov 2008 12:13 - 13 Dec 2018 23:49 #231 by intrepid
Replied by intrepid on topic Dragons Wrath 2008
Thought I'd start a thread to list all the tragedies that have happened in the Berg this year.

This serves as a memorial to those who have lost their lives, and to extend condolences to their loved ones.

* Michael Hetherington, a 73-year old Scottish tourist, who was a seasoned hiker, goes missing in the Cathedral Peak area around 2-3 Feb, and his body was never found again.

* Two day hikers freeze to death on May 1, after spending the night on the road between Sentinel Car Park and Witsieshoek Resort.

* Luan Carter, aged 19, slipped on the ice on the edge of the Tugela Fallse and fell to his death on 23 July.

* Luciano Colombo, a 68-year old seasoned hiker slipped and fell to his death on the Camel Route of Organ Pipes Pass, 26 October.

Please feel free to add any details.

Take nothing but litter, leave nothing but a cleaner Drakensberg.
Last edit: 13 Dec 2018 23:49 by intrepid. Reason: Links removed because all threads referred to have all been merged together under Dragon's Wrath 2008
The following user(s) said Thank You: ghaznavid

More
17 Jan 2012 16:29 #52914 by Smurfatefrog
Replied by Smurfatefrog on topic Dragons Wrath 2008
None of these links work, are the stories still around somewhere?

More
17 Jan 2012 16:42 #52915 by john mark 1
Replied by john mark 1 on topic Dragons Wrath 2008
Hmmm, I see what you mean. Some of the links give an error message while others say that I don't have permission to view the link. :unsure:

More
17 Jan 2012 17:36 - 17 Jan 2012 17:37 #52916 by intrepid
Replied by intrepid on topic Dragons Wrath 2008
Thanks for reporting this, the links have all been fixed now. The broken links were as a result of the different generations of software used on this site over the years. Sometimes after an upgrade the URL structure for any particular page is unavoidably different. I do run queries in the database to fix this sometimes but it doesn't always cover it 100%.

Members can help by actively reporting broken links. In the forums you can click on "Report to moderator" which appears on each message. The galleries and downloads have something similar. Else just send me a PM. :thumbsup:

Take nothing but litter, leave nothing but a cleaner Drakensberg.
Last edit: 17 Jan 2012 17:37 by intrepid.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Smurfatefrog

More
17 Jan 2012 19:11 #52917 by john mark 1
Replied by john mark 1 on topic Dragons Wrath 2008
Thanks Intrepid! As you say they are working fine now. Great job.

More