Snow Watch 2013

11 Feb 2013 20:05 - 05 Feb 2014 07:52 #56016 by JonWells
Snow Watch 2013 was created by JonWells
This is the official thread for Snow Watch 2013. Feel free to post pictures, information, questions and reports about the snow conditions in the Drakensberg for 2013. The idea is to keep track of the snowfalls, pool information about where the snow is for those that want to go see it, and simply to have a place to express the joy and experiences you may have had if you have witnessed the grandeur of the Dragon clothed in white.

Historical Snow Watch threads:

2013 Snowfalls:

1. 03 April - Good start to the season with snowfalls in excess of 6cm falling mainly across the KZN Drakensberg and the Eastern part of the Lesotho Highlands. Snow did settle on the slopes of the High Berg. Details .

2. 10 April - Very isolated snowfall in Sani Pass/Black Mountain Region. Light dusting also in Eastern Cape Berg Details

3. 18-21 April - Large weather system drops good quantities of snow across the entire range. Details

4. 04 May - Based on the sat image from the 5th, this occurred on the Eastern Cape Drakensberg, particularly in the southern extremities, as well as the tail-end of the Central Range of Lesotho. No reports of fresh snow in the KZN Drakensberg. Details

5. 11 May - Snow on most of the high ground North of Sani Pass. Most snow was concentrated around the Afriski region in the Nothern most part of the range. Afriski website reported 15cm snow depth. Details

6. 17 May - Light snow reported at Afriski and Sani Pass. Satellite image shows small amount of new snow in the Black Mountain region, as well as the high ridges above Vergelegen. Details

7. 27/28 May - Confined mainly to the Afriski region. Light snow was visible on the Afriski webcam, and the next visible satellite image showed some fresh snow. Details

8. 2 June - Isolated snowfall in the Xalanga Peak / Witteberg region in the extreme South. Details

9. 9 June - Fairly widespread snowfall from the Eastern Cape high ground through to Witsieshoek in the North. Snow was heaviest in the South, with lasting snow down to 1750m. Details

10. 27-28 June - Snow fell in a fairly narrow band across most of the KZN Escarpment, down to 2300m in places. Details

11. 8-9 August - Snow fell in the Afriski region of Lesotho, and in a narrow band across most of the escarpment. Parts of the South had light snowfall down to 2000m. Details

12. 11-12 August - Cold-core trough drops fresh snow across most of the high ground of Lesotho. Afriski reported a good amount of new snow. Details

13. 12 September - Light snow reported at Sani Pass and Tiffindell (No other details available)

14. 21-22 September - Light snow reported in the Bushman's Nek, Giants Castle, and Mnweni areas. Details

15. 29-30 September - Light snow falls in a narrow band extending from Bushmans Nek to Cathedral Peak. Details

16. 21-22 October - Widespread snow falls on high ground from Tiffindell in the South to the Afriski area in the North. Details

17. 28-29 November - Light dusting visible on the Afriski Webcam. Details
Last edit: 05 Feb 2014 07:52 by JonWells.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 Feb 2013 08:16 #56018 by Trev
Replied by Trev on topic Snow Watch 2013
Hi Intrepid

Please can you give us a wrap up of 2012 including how many significant snowfalls etc. I enjoy keeping track of those sort of stats and I'm sure I'm not the only one.

Cheers

More
13 Feb 2013 08:30 #56019 by JonWells
Replied by JonWells on topic Snow Watch 2013
@Trev

On the last page of the 2012 Snow-watch thread

intrepid wrote: So that is No. 12 for the season.

I doubt there was anything else after that.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Trev

More
13 Feb 2013 09:21 #56020 by intrepid
Replied by intrepid on topic Snow Watch 2013
I try keep track of the snowfalls with a brief summary and reference link on the first page of the threads, so have a look at page one of the 2012 thread too. I still need to fill in the gaps there and will post a closing message on that thread when I get there.

Take nothing but litter, leave nothing but a cleaner Drakensberg.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Trev

More
03 Apr 2013 07:09 #56486 by JonWells
Replied by JonWells on topic Snow Watch 2013
I've just seen that Snow-forecast.com is suggesting a chance of light snow on the escarpment tonight and tomorrow morning.

More
03 Apr 2013 08:50 #56489 by plouw
Replied by plouw on topic Snow Watch 2013
Apaprently snowing at Tiffendell already.
The following user(s) said Thank You: JonWells

More
03 Apr 2013 16:31 #56497 by Smurfatefrog
Replied by Smurfatefrog on topic Snow Watch 2013

It's snowing in the Berg! Management at the Sani Pass Mountain Lodge in the Southern Drakensberg says snow flakes began dusting the area from about 4.30pm today.

The Lodge's Brian Maher says about six-centimetres of snow's already fallen.

He says while it's not unusual for it to snow around this time of year, those wanting to build snowmen might have to wait a little longer.

Maher says sunshine has been forecast for tomorrow, so unless there's considerable snowfall tonight most of the powder is expected to melt away by tomorrow.

For now though, Maher says hot chocolate and blankets are the order of the day

www.ecr.co.za/post/early-snow-in-the-berg/
The following user(s) said Thank You: JonWells, ghaznavid

More
03 Apr 2013 16:36 - 03 Apr 2013 16:38 #56498 by ghaznavid
Replied by ghaznavid on topic Snow Watch 2013
I hope the GT guys are ok. Doesn't sound like its too bad though. They are going North to South and resupplied at Bannerman Pass last weekend, finishing this weekend. They are probably around where we were when we got hit by snow last year (somewhere between Sani and Rhino).
Last edit: 03 Apr 2013 16:38 by ghaznavid.

More
03 Apr 2013 16:59 #56499 by Smurfatefrog
Replied by Smurfatefrog on topic Snow Watch 2013

ghaznavid wrote: I hope the GT guys are ok. Doesn't sound like its too bad though. They are going North to South and resupplied at Bannerman Pass last weekend, finishing this weekend. They are probably around where we were when we got hit by snow last year (somewhere between Sani and Rhino).

I think it changed to Langies (assume they were ahead of schedule), the re-supply team were due up Bannerman Pass on Saturday, I checked the hiking register & a team of 14 were in the register to go up Langies & down Giants. They were the only group that could've been the re-supply team.
I saw them coming down the Langies ridge on Sunday so I assume the rain changed their plans of coming down Giants

More
03 Apr 2013 17:16 #56500 by ghaznavid
Replied by ghaznavid on topic Snow Watch 2013
Interesting stuff. I thought they had a team of 20, but people could have pulled out.

Up and down Langies - I'm happy I didn't end up on the resupply team!

More