Snow Watch 2015

03 Jun 2015 16:05 #64126 by intrepid
Replied by intrepid on topic Snow Watch 2015
Apparently Afriski's webcams showed some light snowfall during the night.

Talking of webcams, I have added all three of Afriskis webcams onto one page now. Cathedral Peak's two webcams have also been added - I do have the options of presenting the images and the time lapses separately, but I think its probably more practical as it is now. Maliba's webcam has also been fixed. See menu at the bottom of page.

Take nothing but litter, leave nothing but a cleaner Drakensberg.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Christine, Captain, GerritHuman, Papa Dragon

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
04 Jun 2015 11:42 - 04 Jun 2015 13:28 #64132 by JonWells
Replied by JonWells on topic Snow Watch 2015
As is so often the case, the snow forecast has downgraded somewhat as the time approaches. As it stands the predicted snowfall areas remain largely intact, although just about all of the KZN Escarpment looks set to only receive a centimetre or 2. Heaviest falls are still looking to be in the E.Cape Drakensberg with 8cm forecast for Ben Macdhui.

Snow Report is currently reporting light snow falling at Tiffindell, Sani Pass, and on the peaks above Drakensberg Gardens Hotel
Last edit: 04 Jun 2015 13:28 by JonWells.

More
04 Jun 2015 11:57 #64135 by JonWells
Afriski has tweeted this image of the current road condition

Please login or register to view the image attached to this post.

More
04 Jun 2015 14:21 #64138 by stefangrab
Replied by stefangrab on topic Snow Watch 2015
:) Fantastic to have these web cams - esp to keep an eye open for possible snow events! Well done!!

I see the Maliba web cam is still on its summer mode....showing the same picture from back in Feb I think. Do they have an hourly set-up function for that web cam?

More
04 Jun 2015 14:57 #64139 by intrepid
Replied by intrepid on topic Snow Watch 2015
The Maliba Lodge webcam was offline for a long time when their lounge burned down. Now that its back up, it seems there are still some technical issues to work through since the last captured image was in February. We just have to wait for it to get fixed.

Take nothing but litter, leave nothing but a cleaner Drakensberg.

More
04 Jun 2015 16:12 #64140 by JonWells
Well their webcam may be down, but we have an update from the Maliba Lodge Facebook Page:

"The clouds are clearing revealing our Our First Snow Caps!! Winter has arrived!"

More
04 Jun 2015 16:46 #64141 by ASL
Replied by ASL on topic Snow Watch 2015
Hi Gerrit,

If you look back to the biggest snow events they are typically later in Winter. The biggest snow that I have seen at the Amphitheatre was end July. It was knee to thigh deep in parts near Crows Nest cave where we overnighted.

For big snow there is always a lot of snow that falls on the Cape mountains first so you can see it coming by watching the news...Happy hunting! B)

More
04 Jun 2015 21:04 #64146 by HFc
Replied by HFc on topic Snow Watch 2015
We were not actually on or close to the escarpment this afternoon, a couple of km's away, but we saw what looked to snowfall on the high ground above Gray's pass, with some of the snow storm seemingly falling down in front of the escarpment some way, around 14:30. This confused me a bit as that would suggest it is perhaps only mist billowing over the escarpment due to strong winds: yet it had a look of vertical streaks.

I could however confirm via spotting scope an hour later what seemed like light snow coverage, unfortunately too far away and sparse on the ground for my camera to pick up.

Ground temperatures should be some way over zero still so any light snowfall is likely to clear up soon anyway, but is was great nonetheless to see.

More
05 Jun 2015 14:15 #64151 by JonWells
Today's Terra satellite image showing the remaining snow cover in red:

The following user(s) said Thank You: intrepid, Smurfatefrog, HFc

More