Taking dogs (pets) to the berg

25 Oct 2017 12:28 #72273 by Dewald
Dewald created the topic: Taking dogs (pets) to the berg
Good day all,

Hope everyone is having a stoke filled day.

I am new to the forum and I guess I have a stupid question/s, but I want to know if it is allowed or possible to take a Dog/s on the 4 Day, Mafadi Peak Hike! The Dog/s are more than capable of going the distance and not aggressive at all, so I guess my next question is will it be a problem bumping into any of the tribes with my dog/s?

If anyone could give me some advise, that would be very much appreciated.

Thanks for your time in advance, have an awesome day and stay blessed!

Kind regards,
Dewald.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
25 Oct 2017 12:54 #72274 by tiska
tiska replied to: Taking dogs (pets) to the berg
Hi Dewald
Check that you are allowed to take a dog into Injisuthi/Giant's Castle. You may not be. Others on VE probably know for sure.

If you are allowed, then avoid going up or down Corner Pass - which is one of the most direct routes - because there are a couple of sections that would be difficult for the dog.

The Basuthos have their own dogs and they can be very aggro. In deep winter, after snowfall, you are less likely to encounter them. In summer you are very likely to.

More
25 Oct 2017 13:28 #72275 by Dewald
Dewald replied to: Taking dogs (pets) to the berg
Hi Tiska,

Thank you so much for your reply, I appreciate it!

I will contact Injisuthi/Giant's Castle or do further research, we are heading out at the end of November so I guess bumping into the tribes and their dogs will definitely happen then.

Once again thank you for your reply, have a great day.

More
25 Oct 2017 14:37 #72276 by diverian
diverian replied to: Taking dogs (pets) to the berg
Hi Dewald,

No pets of any kind are allowed in the KZN wildlife areas. There are exceptions made with KZN wildlife staff living on site but definitely no visitors pets.

More
25 Oct 2017 14:43 #72277 by Dewald
Hi there Diverian,

Thank you for your reply, appreciate it man, enjoy the rest of your day.

Kind regards,
Dewald.

More
25 Oct 2017 17:26 #72278 by Christinejvr
Christinejvr replied to: Taking dogs (pets) to the berg
Hi. I took a dog twice to the Mnweni area without problems. Okay, except for the 1st trip we couldn't get up the ice-packed Mnweni pass and during the 2nd trip we ended up in a storm and he uncomfortably cold for a while. Next time I will pack a rainjacket for him. Other than that, we were fine. The village dogs encountered during the walk-in came up to us barking but we never felt threatened.

More
25 Oct 2017 17:30 #72279 by Dewald

diverian wrote:
Hi Dewald,

No pets of any kind are allowed in the KZN wildlife areas. There are exceptions made with KZN wildlife staff living on site but definitely no visitors pets.

Hi Christine,

I'm not sure if I want to risk it after what Diverian said, did you perhaps make any additional arrangements with the KZN Wildlife Department or Staff?

More
25 Oct 2017 17:42 #72280 by Christinejvr
Christinejvr replied to: Taking dogs (pets) to the berg
Dewald, the Mnweni area is, strickly speaking, not part of the protected area. Or not yet, although I hope it will change. But that is why I went there with my dog. When I visit any other area in the ' berg, he plays watchdog at home while I am gone.

More
25 Oct 2017 17:44 #72281 by Dewald
Ok cool, thanks for your help! I appreciate it. Enjoy your evening and stay blessed!

More
25 Oct 2017 19:35 #72282 by WarrenM
WarrenM replied to: Taking dogs (pets) to the berg
Hey Dewald

I've been at the Mnweni Cultural centre and guys have had dogs with them, but I don't recall them every heading all the way up the passes to the Escarpment, they did a couple day trips about 3/4 up the way of the passes in the area and then headed back to the Cultural Centre.

I stand to correction by I seem to remember saying that they struggled at certain points with their dog towards the top of the passes.

From my experience the Basutho dogs can be very aggro, as already mentioned. We have even heard dogs in the EKZN wildlife sections (the bell cave side of Cathedral peak, in fact we saw their foot prints on the path between the horns and Bell cave on the Bell traverse (Basutho's or Locals we are not sure) so no guarantee you won't run into any other dogs on the SA side of the escarpment or around Mnweni either.

If I had to go with dogs, it would be to Mnweni, only real place that you can, I stand to correction.

Let us know if you do land up going with them.

More