Taking dogs (pets) to the berg

25 Oct 2017 20:32 #72283 by Christinejvr
I fully agree with WarrenM, but I must add that on our 2nd trip, we went up Fangs, slept at the top, went down Mnweni, slept at the bottom, went up Mnweni again the following morning, down Ntonjelana the afternoon, slept at the bottom and walked out to MCC the next day. But that is a German Pointer, they are more machine than dog.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
26 Oct 2017 08:42 #72284 by GriffBaker
Very Interested to see a trip report on this.

I have often dabbled with the idea of taking my staffie with me on a hike in the Mnweni but he is not so good with the Nguni's, so have always been put off by the idea of having him on a leash the whole time.

The most important consideration would be to make sure your dog is well behaved off the lead, otherwise, you may be faced with a very expensive negotiation to compensate for maimed livestock.

I must say the idea of myself and my dog getting circled by a pack of shepherds dogs on the escarpment is the stuff of nightmares.

More
02 Nov 2017 17:45 #72319 by AdrianT
Might I also point out that by taking a dog with you are more likely to get into very close contact with the Basotho dogs and there is a slight risk of rabies, which is prevalent in Natal and also Lesotho. A friend of mine died as a result of the saliva of a dog he picked up at the side of the road touching an open wound. I guess I am overly cautious as a result but I just wouldn't do it. Not only that, you also don't want their dogs to attack your dog, nor you, nor your dog taking on them or their livestock. And I say this as the owner of 3 dogs - not that I live close to the Berg, unfortunately.

More
13 Nov 2017 08:19 #72347 by HenkSeevinck
Following, also keen on taking my two Labradors, I however think that the Mnweni area is the only options since pets are prohibited in the park areas.

Regards

Henk

More
21 Nov 2017 17:47 #72399 by GerritHuman
We took a Labrador to do a Bannerman - Langlies loop in 3 days. We thought it was okay as planned to do bannerman in a whole day and we were a group of about 15 people that can help the Labrador the last steep bit. But she struggled the last bit. When we got home she seemed a bit ill. Even though she was not old en quite fit.

When we hiked down we encountered Basutos with sheep, obviously she was not ons leach and ran towards the sheep. They were not happy, after about 45 minutes there came about 5 grown Basuto men with about 6 dogs towards us. We just hiked faster and went down Langlies before they could catch up.

Bottom line, I would not take a dog with again...
At least not to the top. Day hikes would be amazing. But not overnight...

More
22 Nov 2017 08:41 #72402 by Richard Hunt
Taking a dog in the Drakensberg Park is a direct challenge against the wildlife authorities. The rules say NO DOGS and that is for very good reasons. The rangers have enough worries with hunting dogs, local dogs and dogs coming down the passes from Lesotho. The rangers will most probably shoot your dog and arrest you for violating conservation rules. Taking your dog could put your life at risk in many ways. and spoil your hike.
The following user(s) said Thank You: diverian, MarkT, Captain, DesPorter, Redshift3

More
02 Feb 2018 12:14 #72762 by HenkSeevinck
www.elangeni-resort.co.za/

These guys have a nice dog friendly 2 day route. Day one has a nice climb but other than that a very enjoyable route.

Regards

More
01 Aug 2019 14:29 - 01 Aug 2019 14:29 #75200 by rmontjoie
Hi guys

I assume its still good to take my dog with to the Mnweni area, to do the Ifidi pass loop? Any further news or thoughts on this topic? Doggo is fit and agile and regularly runs 10 to 15km with me, so shouldn't struggle on the hike. We last did this in 2014 and I don't recall any show stoppers for a medium sized agile dog (spaniel...)

Thanks in advance for any thoughts/information.
Last edit: 01 Aug 2019 14:29 by rmontjoie.

More
05 Aug 2019 10:43 #75207 by Riaang
Hi rmontjoie,

Am I reading your email correctly that this dog has gone up or down Ifidi pass 5 years ago? If yes then I guess it should be fine for another berg trip, however, may I suggest you phone the guys at MCC to hear if it is currently ok to take dogs into the Mnweni area. 

There are 3 scrambling sections in the final steep section up to the escarpment, after passing the pinnacles. We used ropes to get our backpacks up the one section, I doubt very much that your dog would get up there unassisted, so you might have to use some form of harness to pull it up. 

This time of year the water level in the riverbed would be fairly low, so the walk up should be ok, just take note that (if I read your email wrong and you haven't gone up Ifidi before) you are in for a LOT of boulder hopping right to the top of Ifidi. The dog's feet might take a  pounding, the rocks could get hot during the day and it might slip and damage a leg or something while transitioning on and off wet and slippery rocks.

Enjoy!!!

More