Alternative for Tugela overnight

03 Dec 2017 22:22 #72438 by Eurendur
I have recently been up to the Tugela, but went up alone. Now taking a fellow hiker with and we both keen on setting up camp at the top anywhere between Tugela and Mont Aux.

My question is, after reading the berg report and seeing that many fellow hikers are saying that it isnt all that safe to stay overnight, is there any other options that we have if we still want to experience the full adventure of camping on the berg. We have paid a deposit for lodging at Witsieshoek lodge so accomadation is sorted if we dont get good feedback from the forum. Just bummed that this has to be considered.

Many thanx in advance.

And at the end, succumbing to the reality that you have been in the midst of Gods creation all along, is pure bliss.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
04 Dec 2017 08:50 #72441 by Riaang
@Eurendur,

If you are willing to consider other overnight options you can always travel down South a bit, either just past the Eastern Buttress (a couple of nice flat spots around here, especially around Mount Amery) or still a bit further towards Ifidi cave.

More
04 Dec 2017 09:00 #72442 by Eurendur
Are these in you opinion much safer options???

Also, where cN I find a route map since I dont know either of those locations...

Thanx

And at the end, succumbing to the reality that you have been in the midst of Gods creation all along, is pure bliss.

More
04 Dec 2017 16:52 #72444 by Riaang
The further away from the Tugela you are, generally speaking, the safer it is.
Mmmhhh, Mount Amery you can see on the map, any flat spot in the area will do.
Ifidi cave is close to where Ifidi pass tops out, about 500m or so further south below the top rock band.
PM me then I'll send you a pic or two of the cave and Ifidi pass.

More