Covid-19 / Drakensberg Questions & Updates

28 Jul 2020 13:32 #75902 by Beard
Just adding comments to this. We were in Southern Drak this weekend and the hiking hut is open for day hikes. You can do the Rhino or Sleeping Beauty Cave or Pillar Cave. Take cash. you drive through Drak Gardens to get to the hiking office and it was eerie. NOT A SOUL there. Over run by Baboons, was like a scene from Walking Dead. 
The following user(s) said Thank You: diverian, JonWells

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
27 Aug 2020 09:12 #75988 by Picolla
Does any body have a date that overnight hiking will be allowed again at Monk's Cowl?
The following user(s) said Thank You: ivan

More
08 Sep 2020 11:58 #76038 by domsmooth
The current status quo is that Didima is closed, and there is no proposed date for re-opening at this point. It is unclear when Cathedral Peak hotel will reopen (although their website suggests the 22 Sept). Hiking trails in and around Didima remain closed.

However, "camping accommodation" and overnight hiking for the rest of the Drakensberg (with the exception of Injisuthi which will reopen on the 14th of Sept) reopened on the 4th of Sept. Chalets at Kamberg, Lotheni, Giants Castle, Royal Natal, and Injisuthi are all open again also (some having opened again on the 7th of Aug). As I get updates, I will post, or keep an eye on Ezemvelo's official Facebook or Twitter feeds.

Lets all help maintain the values for which the Berg was proclaimed a World Heritage Site
The following user(s) said Thank You: Serious tribe, JonWells, firephish, supertramp

More
09 Sep 2020 10:29 #76041 by West
Thanks, so is Injisuthi open after the fire? I had thought they said it was closed until further notice.

More
11 Sep 2020 08:41 - 11 Sep 2020 08:42 #76051 by domsmooth
That's a very good point. I have reached out to colleagues to find out. Thanks for that. I will revert as soon as I find out.

Bear in mind that Ezemvelo is currently running a Mahala Friday promotion, for South Africans to get into our reserves for free for day visits (on a Fri only). the promotion is being advertised on all the official social media platforms.

Lets all help maintain the values for which the Berg was proclaimed a World Heritage Site
Last edit: 11 Sep 2020 08:42 by domsmooth.

More
14 Sep 2020 12:17 #76068 by ameliabedelia
Hi There!

I have been trying to book an overnight hike at Xeni Cave (have a few beginners doing their first cave hike) but I cannot get any answer at Didima Camp. Does anyone know if it is open and if there's another way to book/sign a mountain register?

Thanks in advance for any advice/information.

More
14 Sep 2020 12:24 #76069 by Smurfatefrog
Everywhere except for Didima/Cathedral is open for overnight and day hiking.
No planned opening date has been given.

See this thread for updates: www.vertical-endeavour.com/forum/14-drakensberg-general/56752-covid-19-drakensberg-questions-updates.html?start=10
The following user(s) said Thank You: ruthtbl

More
14 Sep 2020 13:17 #76070 by ameliabedelia
Thanks so much. Such a pity, hope they open soon.

More
14 Sep 2020 19:20 #76071 by domsmooth
According to an update received today, Injisuthi will reopen in October following the devastating fire that destroyed most of the staff accommodation etc. I will keep requesting information and keep you all updated.

The following user(s) said Thank You: diverian, Papa Dragon

More