Snow Watch 2010

18 Jun 2010 13:33 #1405 by Frosty Ice
Replied by Frosty Ice on topic Snow Watch 2010
Anyone been camping in the Monks Cowl Area? Any snow around there?

Thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 Jun 2010 16:18 #1408 by BergAttie
Replied by BergAttie on topic Snow Watch 2010
Have not camped there but live in Estcourt - very little snow visible on central berg - mainly Didima area but does not look heavy. It is however very cold here for past 3-4 days - well below freezing at night - today mercury hardly rised above 10!

More
18 Jun 2010 18:39 #1409 by HolymanSA
Replied by HolymanSA on topic Snow Watch 2010
Just got back from Monks Cowl today. There is very little snow on the top of Grays Pass. Patches on some of the higher ground and around the river but nothing much to report. It was seriously cold up there. My thermometer recorded -11 on Wednesday. Saw quite a lot of snow around Cleft Peak, Mostly to the south and some thicker accumulations to the north, south of the Amphitheatre.

More
19 Jun 2010 18:28 #1410 by Frosty Ice
Replied by Frosty Ice on topic Snow Watch 2010
Thanks Holyman, thats some great info! Wanting to do South Gully but need to wait till its packed out of snow. -11 brrrrrrrrrr, my sleeping bag maxes out at -8! Lets hope for some more good falls.
Thanks

More
19 Jun 2010 20:29 #1411 by HolymanSA
Replied by HolymanSA on topic Snow Watch 2010
It's a pleasure. I am off to Russia to find some real snow. Leave on Friday to go and climb Mt Elbrus. I am sure more snow is on it's way soon to the berg though!! Hang in there.

More
23 Jun 2010 18:04 #1416 by intrepid
Replied by intrepid on topic Snow Watch 2010
Royal Natal National Park lowered the 1968 coldest temperature record of -6,5° to -7,1° a few days ago.

Ice climbing has started at Sani Pass. The top pitch of French Wench has sufficiently formed.
peakhigh.co.za/blog/?p=957

Take nothing but litter, leave nothing but a cleaner Drakensberg.

More
07 Jul 2010 10:23 - 07 Jul 2010 10:26 #1439 by intrepid
Replied by intrepid on topic Snow Watch 2010
Just got back from Giant's Castle. Very little snow currently, only patches left on the well protected south-facing slopes on the Giant's massif and Long Wall. Some snow was also visible from a distance on Thabana Ntlenyana and the Mafadi-Makheka ridge. Pretty thick frost forming currently though, which remains throughout the day on shady, south-facing slopes.

@Frosty Ice: you may be interested to know that the Eastern Gully of Giants didn't have much snow in it, so I wouldn't expect there to be much in Champagne Castle South Gully either.

Checked out some of the ice-climbing routes, - have seen these in better shape previously. I wasn't too impressed with the lower pitches of Makaza and the Faber Castell / Shisa gully. The picture below of the upper half of Makaza:

This image is hidden for guests.

Take nothing but litter, leave nothing but a cleaner Drakensberg.

Please login or register to view the image attached to this post.

Last edit: 07 Jul 2010 10:26 by intrepid.

More
08 Jul 2010 11:20 #1446 by JonWells
Replied by JonWells on topic Snow Watch 2010
Looks like there could be some good snow early next week!

This image is hidden for guests.

Please login or register to view the image attached to this post.

More
08 Jul 2010 11:50 #1447 by Stijn
Replied by Stijn on topic Snow Watch 2010
We'll be hiking from Ledger's to Twins on that day... finally my winter hike timing works out! B)

More
12 Jul 2010 10:51 #1451 by kliktrak
Replied by kliktrak on topic Snow Watch 2010
heading up to Injisuthi area [marble baths cave for at least 1 night] this coming weekend - hoping the cold front due by mid/end of this week serves up some decent snow!
Will post pics next week!

More