Snow Watch 2010

21 Oct 2010 20:48 #1935 by Jax
Replied by Jax on topic Snow Watch 2010
We arrived at the Mnweni CC late Friday night (15 Oct) in the rain and awoke Saturday to a great surprise - snow covered mountains! Our hike took us up through the snow (Mnweni Pass) and down Rockeries. It had all melted by Sunday afternoon though!

This image is hidden for guests.

Please login or register to view the image attached to this post.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 Nov 2010 14:58 #2014 by intrepid
Replied by intrepid on topic Snow Watch 2010
I have just received word of fresh snow in Underberg / Southern Berg. No further details right now. I had a feeling when it was cold this morning...

Take nothing but litter, leave nothing but a cleaner Drakensberg.

More
10 Nov 2010 18:35 #2015 by JonWells
Replied by JonWells on topic Snow Watch 2010
Yip, I heard someone on the radio today saying that snow could be seen on the mountains near Underberg. Snowforecast.com had predicted snow, so I'm quite impressed with their accuracy. They also successfully predicted the snow that fell in middle of last month. Still crazy though to get snow so late in the year, amazing what a little moisture can do! Image what the berg would be like if KZN had wet winters instead of bone dry ones!

More
10 Nov 2010 21:19 #2016 by intrepid
Its not too unusual to get snow in November, happened last year too. domsmooth and I were on the escarpment several years ago, right at the end of November, and woke up the next morning with several centimeters of snow. The day before we got sunburned. The day after we got caught in a thunderstorm.

More
10 Nov 2010 23:59 #2020 by domsmooth
Replied by domsmooth on topic Snow Watch 2010
Most interesting trip I have shared with you Intrepid! Just prior to the thunderstorm pieces of rock were tumbling off the cliffs above due to the freeze-thaw action. The unfortunate thing about this incident for me was being caught unprepared for inclement weather, expecting a summer hike! Add this to the tips for newcomers! Be prepared for all weather situations when in the Berg!

Lets all help maintain the values for which the Berg was proclaimed a World Heritage Site

More
12 Nov 2010 09:56 #2026 by JonWells
Replied by JonWells on topic Snow Watch 2010
Satellite image

This image is hidden for guests.

Please login or register to view the image attached to this post.

More
12 Nov 2010 11:03 #2027 by intrepid
Ah, thanks jonwells, was wanting to post that image too. Thats the first glimpse of the snow, yesterday. The day before there was still cloud cover. Interesting to note more snow in the Central Berg than in the Southern Berg, on the high ridges of Lesotho, extending in from Mafadi and Giants Castle.

More
09 Dec 2010 09:13 #2085 by intrepid
Any money on a white Christmas in the Berg? Not unheard of.

More
13 Dec 2010 12:01 #2090 by BergAttie
Replied by BergAttie on topic Snow Watch 2010
I've just heard that there is snow on the Berg - have not seen it myself yet but there you go!

More
13 Dec 2010 13:29 #2091 by intrepid
Interesting! The current sat image shows snow in Lesotho up in the North. Large parts of the Berg currently covered in cloud at the moment, though Cathedral Peak's webcam is clear (but no snow). Will see if the afternoon sat image reveals more.

More