Information for on DGT

15 Mar 2019 12:59 #74804 by Jb4003
Hi all,
I am planning on running the Drakensberg grand transverse and need some info on doing this. I was told this is an excellent forum to ask these questions on.

I would like to know as I’m battling to get an answer on this, what are the park fees for this run. And then also is there a time limit on being on this route, like park closing times and so forth. As I am planning on running this I just want to collect as much info on this route as possible. 

Then also is this route done from campsite to campsite or can I stop along the route where ever possible?

Any and all help will be greatly appreciated!!!!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 Mar 2019 21:12 #74808 by intrepid
Replied by intrepid on topic Information for on DGT
Hi JB4003 and welcome to VE.

The DGT isn't all within the same park, you cross land associated with the Batlokoa, AmaZizi and AmaNgwane communities, as well as KZN Wildlife managed lands, and Lesotho. At Sentinel Car Park, which is Batlokoa tribal land,  you will pay what they call a traverse fee or a "one-way" fee, this amount does change from time to time, but on their website is is currently stated to be R200. There currently is not a system for collecting DGT traverse fees for the AmaZizi/AmaNgwane lands (only if you start from there), but time technically within their lands is minimal on a DGT anyway. Fees for KZN Wildlife is paid on an honesty system based on how much time you will/ or did spend within their lands - please see the  Grand Traverse Permits thread for more details.

There is no fee for the Lesotho parts of the DGT, rather the consideration here is that you have a passport on you (relating to this, please note the issues experienced in some parts of the Berg, in this thread ).

The DGT is not a fully formalised route, nor are there official campsites.

I would highly recommend you do some shorter runs along the escarpment as a warm up and orientation before you attempt the DGT. Please also make sure you are familiar with other important considerations such as rescue protocols (do not rely on the register at Sentinel Car Park, it does not work, especially for a DGT), security concerns, and weather conditions.

There is a lot of info on this forum already, please read through it and if there are still some specific questions please ask.

Enjoy and be safe.

Take nothing but litter, leave nothing but a cleaner Drakensberg.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More