Mnweni security

08 May 2012 12:14 #53780 by plouw
Replied by plouw on topic Mnweni security

They are more accustomed to people going up Mnweni down Rockeries kind of thing.

We also noticed this on our way up to Ifidi, everyone directing us towards Mnweni pass, telling us we were heading the wrong way. When I told the one guy we are heading towards Ifidi, he was very confused. Clearly the locals use a different name for the pass. I also doubt that Fangs pass is used as a smuggling pass, the path is very vague in the pass.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 May 2012 07:20 #53813 by jvheerden1982
Replied by jvheerden1982 on topic Mnweni security
For a first time hiker with my friend Mr P Louw i must say that the locals were all very friendly and we did not once felt threatened or in danger. I would not share a campsite with them for the night etc, but like the previous guy said mind your own business. My friend even took photo's of them and they did not mind.
And on the mountain there were at least twice in two days that we saw the police helicopter circling the are. It was an experience!

More
10 Feb 2014 17:00 #59649 by Halewyn
Replied by Halewyn on topic Mnweni security
This might be old news, but 3 of us did the area in April 2006 after heavy rains - the grass were so tall that you could not see the guy in front of you. We later realised that any decent path we found eventually led to a well cultivated dagga patch, but as we cleared the kraals this became very infrequent.

We found no one in Fangs pass, camped at the bottom and on top and only bumped into a climbing group on the 3rd night at the top of Rockeries. I still count Fangs as one of the most remote areas in the berg.

Hope the smugglers are not expanding their activities there, otherwise it might be a new market for Executive Cattle Retrieval!

Keep trudging on!

More
10 Feb 2014 19:21 #59650 by intrepid
Replied by intrepid on topic Mnweni security

Halewyn wrote: Hope the smugglers are not expanding their activities there, otherwise it might be a new market for Executive Cattle Retrieval!

This is not the smugglers from Lesotho. They do not go that way. The fields at the Mbudini-Fangs junction, as with all the other spots in the Mnweni, are planted by some of the locals living in the valleys.

Take nothing but litter, leave nothing but a cleaner Drakensberg.

More
26 Feb 2017 16:25 #71012 by DorkyHero
Replied by DorkyHero on topic Mnweni security
Hi Guys, just discovered this site, first time on the forum.

2 of us had planned on doing 2 nights in the berg this coming weekend in Mnweni but that's obviously not recommended from a safety perspective.

Where, if any, would be the best "safe" spots to hike in either central or northern berg including 1-2 nights camping?

Thanks,
Matt

More
26 Feb 2017 17:59 #71016 by Smurfatefrog
Replied by Smurfatefrog on topic Mnweni security

DorkyHero wrote: Hi Guys, just discovered this site, first time on the forum.

2 of us had planned on doing 2 nights in the berg this coming weekend in Mnweni but that's obviously not recommended from a safety perspective.

Where, if any, would be the best "safe" spots to hike in either central or northern berg including 1-2 nights camping?

Thanks,
Matt

It depends where about you plan to camp, using the caves around the cutback area (Ledges and Mponjwane) should be fine.
The northern side is where there have been issues, so as long as you're south of that and not on a major highway you should be ok
Give us your suggested route and planned overnight stops

More
27 Feb 2017 19:55 - 27 Feb 2017 23:27 #71029 by intrepid
@DorkyHero welcome to VE.

When you say the Mnweni is obviously not recommended from a safety perspective, can you elaborate on why you say that? The only recent security incident I am aware of in the Mnweni was that a tent was raided during the night on the escarpment in the Mbudini/Madonna area last year. It seems it was Basotho shepherds responsible, and it is possible that these are linked to the "bad apple" bunch along the Khubedu Valley that have been responsible for the issues in the Amphitheatre area. I am not aware of recent security issues directly affecting hikers where the locals of the Mnweni have been responsible. Even with all the rustling and smuggling that goes on there, I haven't heard of any recent issues where hikers were targeted. I'd still consider large parts of the Mnweni fine for hiking. Never leave your gear unattended though, that's one thing I would advise.

Last edit: 27 Feb 2017 23:27 by intrepid.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Papa Dragon, Ranger

More
15 Mar 2017 08:10 #71146 by DorkyHero
Replied by DorkyHero on topic Mnweni security
Okay so that's definitely reassuring to know, thank you!

More
09 Feb 2020 19:39 #75683 by susanalkema
Replied by susanalkema on topic Mnweni security
Hi Intrepid, is the below still advised to avoid? What is it like in Mnweni at the moment?

- the junction of Rockeries and Nguza Passes (this is where the Basotho donkeys are offloaded and their local counterparts continue)
- Scaly Cave
- Shepherds Cave
- "Dagga Planters Cave" (below Five Star Cave)
- the campsite at the junction of the Mweni and Rwanqa Rivers

I am planning a hike and would like to camp in Sunshine or Scaly cave, or on the flattish (hopefully) part a little bit past Sunshine cave as you are hiking up.

Would you have any other suggestions on where to camp? Even if it is a little out of the way. I prefer walking a little off-route to avoid any possible incidents.

Many thanks! S

More
10 Feb 2020 06:48 #75684 by intrepid
Hi Susan,
I will give an update here to the best of my knowledge, but since I don't live in SA currently I am not as active in the Mnweni as I used to be. The last time I was in the Mnweni was in 2018. Other members are encouraged to give input here too.

In spite of everything that goes on in the area, there are surprisingly few incidents, if any,  that involve hikers. Certainly no recent news has reached the ears of this forum. The only known recent incidents occurred on the escarpment near the top of Ntonjelana Pass and in the Kwakwatsi Valley where 2 individuals, supposedly representing the Lesotho defence force, where demanding to see passports and harassing hikers. This was happening over a year ago and we haven't heard anything since. See Berg Alert 2018 and 2019 for more details.

The junction of Rockeries and Nguza Passes will still see smuggler traffic, but I know hikers have camped there and have had smugglers pretty much walking right past them at night, but didn't have any problems. If you go sooner rather than later, you may miss the smuggling season before it kicks off. Personally I find the sanitation and litter around there more troubling than the smuggler traffic, and I think hikers are part of the problem.

I wanted to check up on the condition of Scaly Cave in 2018, but the local ladies were cutting grass around there at the time and I was so harassed for sweets as I walked by the turn-off, that I changed my mind and didn't go up to the cave :-). The cave is a short detour from the main path, and not very visible, so it offers some privacy in that respect. It does get used by the locals however (pretty much all caves in the Mnweni do) and I don't know what state it is in right now.

Some time ago there were reports of an individual that was stationed somewhere between Scaly Cave and the Nguza/Rockeries junction who was living in some sort of erected shelter. He may have been there to try and curb cattle rustling, but I don't know for sure.

At the Mnweni/Rwanqa junction you will come across another structure which the locals started to build but which has since been abandoned. I did have reliable confirmation that this was intended to be an outpost to try and curb cattle rustling in that valley too. There camp spots around that structure, but I didn't see evidence that these were being used much in 2018. However, the area up on the flat grassy plateau between that junction and Shepherds Cave is being actively used by hikers, and especially by the larger groups. There were numerous parties camping there in 2018 and so did we.

Shepherd's Cave has always been used by locals but in recent years it was being used by what appeared to be Basotho. I never did get clarity on what exactly was going on there. At times their belongings were left there. It did not appear to be in active use in 2018 but I do not know of its most up to date status. In my experience, this cave is typically littered with ash and other junk left behind by locals and can even be slightly smelly. This can happen with any cave in the area though.

Note that "Dagga Planters Cave" is none other than the real 5 Star Cave (see  Which cave is Five Star Cave? thread for details). I find that 5 Star Cave is consistently the best cave to use for hikers. There are actually several more caves in that area not shown on the maps, but I believe hikers can generally default to using that one. It does get used by locals sometimes and if you do find it occupied then you will have to use alternatives. The locals are also well aware that hikers use that cave. Note that this is the dagga growing season and you may see dagga being grown and there may be locals around who are watching over the crops. I don't think these individuals readily pose a threat to hikers if all you are doing is walking by on the trail.

I think the best rule to follow in the area is not to leave your gear unattended and to pack everything away properly at night. And if I had to choose between camping in the Mnweni Valley or the valley leading up Rockeries Pass, then I would go for the Mnweni Valley. Seems much nice to me for camping somehow and there are several good options. Hope this helps.

More