Berg Alert 2013

20 Jan 2013 11:44 #55906 by intrepid
Berg Alert 2013 was created by intrepid
This is the place for all updates, incidents and observations relating to security issues in the Drakensberg in 2013.

The kind of thing which should be reported here:
* new incidents of theft, mugging or any kind of verbal or physical intimidation (whether it is experienced first-hand, seen in the media, or heard through the grape vine)
* new observations of the activities of shepherds, smugglers and other parties, especially as it concerns the safety of hikers and climbers.
* any other snippet of information or comment about the current state of affairs relating to security.

The purpose of this thread is to maintain a true picture of what is happening in the Berg currently, to keep a concerned Berg community informed, and to create a healthy awareness of security issues which will help others avoid problems. It is not the intention to create a media hype or undue negative publicity for the Berg, nor to harm tourism in the area, and definitely not to create prejudice against the Basotho and other locals living there.

Historical threads:
* Berg Alert 2010
* Berg Alert 2011
* Berg Alert 2012

Take nothing but litter, leave nothing but a cleaner Drakensberg.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ozymandiasza

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
08 Jan 2014 18:14 #59346 by intrepid
Replied by intrepid on topic Berg Alert 2013
I'm very pleased that nothing got reported under this thread!

This doesn't mean that the Berg area is quiet crime-wise - it just reflects that there have been no major incidents involving hikers and climbers. Also, not all incidents are reported, particularly those that happen around Tugela Falls. Smuggling continues, but thankfully they continue largely to ignore the hikers. I have heard of some unconfirmed things going on, in and around Underberg, but I have no clarity if these took place in the "proper" Berg and if it involved hikers.

This thread is now closed, and the new one for 2014 can be accessed here .

Take nothing but litter, leave nothing but a cleaner Drakensberg.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More