Loteni security

05 Sep 2013 06:26 #58366 by elandman
Loteni security was created by elandman
Greetings everyone!

I'm planning to go to the Loteni area after a long absence and wish to find out if there are any security issues in the area.
Anyone got any accurate information to share?

Thanks all
GL on your adventures!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
09 Sep 2013 18:31 #58433 by intrepid
Replied by intrepid on topic Loteni security
There is a history in this area which I suspect relates strongly to the historic problems around Jarateng and Langalibalele. I am not aware of any incidents in the last few years.

Take nothing but litter, leave nothing but a cleaner Drakensberg.

More
10 Sep 2013 05:11 #58441 by elandman
Replied by elandman on topic Loteni security
Thanks for the reply intrepid.

More
10 Sep 2013 08:00 #58446 by firephish
Replied by firephish on topic Loteni security
I'd be interested in the "history" wrt to this area. A group of us where considering a hike down Jarateng & Langalibalele valley towards Mkhotlong for a night or two before heading back to Giants Castle ... anything to be specifically concerned about?

intrepid wrote: There is a history in this area which I suspect relates strongly to the historic problems around Jarateng and Langalibalele. I am not aware of any incidents in the last few years.

More
10 Sep 2013 08:09 #58447 by elandman
Hi,

The only thing I've heard in recent years is cars and campsites being meddled with at night. That was from my cousin which spent his honeymoon their 2 years back and he was told that by the staff although nothing occurred while he was there. That could happen in your own home at night so nothing we don't prepare for already.

I'm only concerned with the violent/armed theft types of crimes.... of which I haven't heard of anything in that area.

So far so good :)

More
10 Sep 2013 08:13 #58448 by ghaznavid
Replied by ghaznavid on topic Loteni security
My recent experiences:
- I have been in the Langies valley way too many times recently and only twice have I even seen people there - on neither occasion did they even come to us to say hi. I have camped in that valley twice and had no issues either time
- On the south slopes of the ridge off Giant's Castle/Lotheni Peak on GT last year we encountered a group of less than friendly locals, one of whom stole my gloves when I wasn't looking. I only realised this later when I tried to take them back out of my backpack (they were in my side compartment of my pack).

More
10 Sep 2013 08:34 #58449 by intrepid
Replied by intrepid on topic Loteni security
I know of one definite case where some ice-climbers on the Lotheni side of Giants Castle had their entire gear stolen while they were climbing. There was one other case where some gear was stolen out of packs stashed somewhere in Ntubeni Pass. These are the definite cases beyond hearsay that I know of. I would think that this might relate to the bunch of guys that caused all the trouble around in the Jarateng Valley and the top of Langalibabele Pass some years back (ambushing hikers camps at night). Maybe it was the same guys strolling around the area.

I also know there was an incident at the top of Redi Pass some time ago where gunshots were fired. I don’t have exact details, other than that it really happened and caused a lot of panic to the hikers involved. The gunshots could be heard over the phone when they called the authorities.

I don't mention these things to cause any undue concern. I don't consider Lotheni to be a risky area, and even Giants Castle has been quiet for some time. I mention them simply cause those are the facts and that folk can be aware. Compared to many other places the Berg is remarkably quiet when it comes to crime against hikers and climbers.

Take nothing but litter, leave nothing but a cleaner Drakensberg.
The following user(s) said Thank You: firephish

More
10 Sep 2013 08:50 #58450 by firephish
Replied by firephish on topic Loteni security
Thanks, doing a quick search i found a post referencing a "bad clan" that graze between Bannermans Pass and Redi ... as you said though no incidents for quite some time.

More
10 Sep 2013 09:14 #58452 by elandman
Thanks for the info everyone.

General consensus... No different from anywhere else in SA :)

More
10 Sep 2013 14:28 #58461 by Viking
Replied by Viking on topic Loteni security
Ghaz,

Didn't you have rocks thrown at you going up Langies one time?

“Today is your day! Your mountain is waiting, So… get on your way!”

More