Injisuthi security

14 Aug 2010 10:50 #1583 by Hermann
Injisuthi security was created by Hermann
Hi All

im taking leave for 3 weeks in september,me and my hiking partner want to do the Mafadi.We want to take it slow...5 to 7 days.How safe is it up there,it'll only be us two,any suggestions/info? The usuall-up Corner and down Leslies.

Update on my partner Anny, that fell easter weekend,in the Cowl ravine: last weekend we did 4 day little berg hike in the Injisuthi area,she recovered very well from her operation and is extremely positive.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
17 Aug 2010 08:35 #1590 by intrepid
Replied by intrepid on topic Injisuthi security
Hi Hermann, great to hear about Anny, and good that you guys are heading back to the Berg soon.

If you are talking security, I have not head anything for a long time (hikers have been robbed on the Injasuthi escarpment before though, according to what I've heard). So, while its not likely that anything will happen, its good to always be on your guard, stick together and don't leave your stuff unattended (unless its very well hidden). I always take pepper spray along, so you may want to consider that. September is not a month in which you will encounter a lot of shepherds, so that will help, though individuals are still around, and you could encounter smugglers (they'll be using Judge Pass mostly).

Feel free to keep this thread running for more discussion on your trip.

Take nothing but litter, leave nothing but a cleaner Drakensberg.

More
17 Aug 2010 10:00 #1591 by gollum
Replied by gollum on topic Injisuthi security
Hi Hermann

Also glad to hear about the recovery. And straight back into the mountains! Great stuff!

Great route, especially if you stick to the escarpment (Trojan Wall, Triplets, Red Wall, Injasuthi Buttresses, just WOW!)

I did the same route last year August with two friends, and there was a lot of activity around Centenary Hut at night (long trains of lanterns/lamps, presumably smugglers). We also saw two locals at the top of Corner Pass when we topped out who kept following us until nightfall as we went in Leslie's Pass direction along the escarpment.

Then in December we went up Hilton's Pass and down Leslie's in a group of six (although two got airlifted out before the descent), and we only encountered two shepherds on the escarpment in the basin which drains into Hilton's Pass. The first one said "give me smoking" and he later came back with the second guy who said "give me sweet", but they were pretty friendly.

In none of these two trips did we get any visits during the night, even though our location was known to the locals.

More
18 Aug 2010 00:58 #1594 by Serious tribe
Replied by Serious tribe on topic Injisuthi security
I have hiked to and stayed in Centenary Hut on two occasions over the last few years, and have never seen any smugglers at night in the area. There was some litter on the path below the Judge, I am assuming that no self respecting hiker would have left that there, so it could be smugglers. As for the escarpment above Corner Pass, I was only there in winter which is also not a good time for shepherds, and saw absolutely no one. August is still very cold up there with limited water, and a good chance of heavy snow, so their herds aren't near the edge.

Sticking near the esc as Gollum says is a good idea, really good opportunities for amazing images.

Just be careful though and vigilant and ebjoy.

More
18 Aug 2010 07:56 #1599 by diverian
Replied by diverian on topic Injisuthi security
Did a hike over the long weekend 6 -10 August up Leslies to Mafadi and Makheke and back down Judges Pass, with 2 nights in the upper Injusuthi Cave. We saw several different herds of sheep with 2/3 sheperds, with dogs, with each herd along the escarpment over the three days but they kept their distance. There was a lot of "smugglers litter" in the stream approaching Judges Pass,but no sign of smugglers themselves. I suppose from a risk point of view it is probably safer than "pulling into your driveway" these days!!!

More
12 Sep 2010 20:06 #1714 by Hermann
Replied by Hermann on topic Injisuthi security
HI Everybody

Our condolances to the family of the deceased(cathedral peak fire)

We didnt do the Mafadi..decided to do it next year Easter,with a bigger party. We went to Cathedral for 6 day hike...came back this afternoon.We left the 6th,went up Mlambonja pass and traversed to Tseketseke pass. We didnt see one Basuthu,only when we were camping on top of the Elephant,we saw one herder,two horses a dog and a couple of cattle,in the Moroleng river basin where Tseketseke tops out.
Most of the escarpment/lesotho is burnt in the Xeni pass Mlambonja area,the river is also not flowing.

Anny did very well.....5 months ago with broken ankle!!! coming down Tseketseke was long and tiresome! When reaching the Tseketseke hut we were looking forward for a refreshing wash and just to relax with our feet in the water.......no water.... we did manage to find some lower down.
Was a awesome hike...we were planning to climb Cathedral Peak next weekend.
thanks for all the input on security issues....

More
13 Sep 2010 14:25 #1723 by intrepid
Replied by intrepid on topic Injisuthi security
Thanks for posting back after the trip Hermann, makes these discussions even more valuable. Glad it all worked out.

Take nothing but litter, leave nothing but a cleaner Drakensberg.

More
23 Oct 2010 18:52 #1938 by homearanya
Replied by homearanya on topic Injisuthi security
For your info:

Last Wednesday, October 20th, 2 of us were camped by the Centenary Hut. About 18h, just before dark, while we were chatting by the tent, a group of not less than 20 smugglers coming down the ridge opposite to the hut walked past us. They were all carrying huge polypropylene bags and were quite spread out along the ridge. It took about 5 minutes for the whole caravan to go past. We greeted them and the greeted back smiling. We never felt threatened. They were obviously coming down from Corner Pass. There’s a clear path down the ridge that I can’t remember seeing before, so they obviously must be using this route now. I wonder why they weren't using the usual Judges Pass.

I’d stayed in Centenary Hut twice before (20-09-2008 and 20-01-2010, for the usual route to Mafadi up Judges down Leslies) and I’d never seen any smuggling activity around the hut.

We made sure all our belongings were inside the tent for the night, stayed alert during the night but we didn’t experience any incidents.

More
24 Oct 2010 10:06 - 24 Oct 2010 10:08 #1939 by Serious tribe
Replied by Serious tribe on topic Injisuthi security
Hi homearanya

Welcome to the forum.

When you say the ridge, are you referring to the ridge that goes up from Centenary Hut and then drops into Corner Pass. On the image, it would follow the line of spot heights 2560 and 2909 that i have put on the ge jpeg?

This image is hidden for guests.

Please login or register to view the image attached to this post.

Last edit: 24 Oct 2010 10:08 by Serious tribe.

More
25 Oct 2010 11:49 #1940 by gollum
Replied by gollum on topic Injisuthi security
@homearanya: Last year August me and two friends (plouw and ccjoubert) were hiking toward Corner Pass. We passed Centenary Hut at sunset and chatted to two hikers who camped next to the hut. About 4km along the contour path we saw a lantern train (also around twenty lamps and also spread out) approaching the hut from below. We were pretty concerned for the two guys at the hut but there were no incidents reported when we arrived back at Injisuthi camp.

More