Berg Alert 2016

27 Apr 2016 16:00 #68029 by Captain
Replied by Captain on topic Berg Alert 2016
@tiska; what happened in the event near Ntonjelane Pass?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
27 Apr 2016 17:49 #68030 by tiska
Replied by tiska on topic Berg Alert 2016
Two hikers were heading south from Amphitheatre to Cathedral Peak. Overnight at Ntonjelane pass head they had rocks thrown at their tent and were attacked when they exited the tent. One hiker died of head injuries. The other walked barefoot, alone, injured and without much needed glasses to Amphitheatre.
The attackers were caught and one or more received the death penalty which dates the event. The attack obviously could not be connected with this one under discussion. But the tactics were identical.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Captain

More
27 Apr 2016 17:53 #68031 by tiska
Replied by tiska on topic Berg Alert 2016
The thing about tents is that you are, in effect, visible to your attackers but they are not visible to you. When attacked in a tent, your next move, to exit the tent, is 100% predictable.
Attacks seem rare to non existent in caves because that predictability does not exist.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Captain, kbresler, AdrianT, Papa Dragon

More
27 Apr 2016 18:56 #68034 by MarkT
Replied by MarkT on topic Berg Alert 2016
That is shocking... we were planning on hiking in that area this weekend but are thinking of changing plans and going south instead.

More
27 Apr 2016 19:13 #68036 by Richard Hunt
Replied by Richard Hunt on topic Berg Alert 2016
@ tiska: you have nailed it, yes the element of surprise is what wins any warfare and sleeping in a cave will be the safest. You are open on only one side with a rock face behind you and you can immediately see your attackers and do what is necessary :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

More
27 Apr 2016 19:36 #68038 by Andrew Mckay
Replied by Andrew Mckay on topic Berg Alert 2016
Terrible news , I hope all involved recover

My friend, Brendon Ferrar and I were in this area Wednesday 20th April 2016 . I had a day run from Sentinel Car Park and then down Rockeries while Brendon carried on and completed the DGT in a very respectable 92 hours ( approx Brendon needs to confirm exact time )

We didn't have any incidents on day 1 but Brendon did tell me that he was hassled a few times after day 1. He is a man few words but I will try some more info

More
27 Apr 2016 19:37 - 27 Apr 2016 19:40 #68039 by intrepid
Replied by intrepid on topic Berg Alert 2016

Richard Hunt wrote: During February 2016 the 15/16th a hiking party near Madonna & Her Worshippers also had their flysheet ripped off, mesh cut open and an attempt to roll tent with goods stolen....this happened during the first quarter moon so probably light enough for them to see.

@Richard: if you know any members of this group, please can you ask them for a full statement?

Since it is has come up, here is more detail on the 1987 incident that Tiska was referring to:
www.vertical-endeavour.com/downloads/download/3-drakensberg-security/104-supreme-court-judgement-on-the-van-rensburg-and-lombard-case.html

And a report on one of the more publicised Giant's Castle incidents from Easter 2005:
www.vertical-endeavour.com/blog/20-drakensberg/security/37-giants-castle-march-2005-incident.html

There was also an incident at Giants Castle in September 2004 in which similar tactics were used.

Bear in mind that some details are disturbing and I don't wish indulge the trauma of these cases in a negative way. They are grim facts we need to be aware of however.

Take nothing but litter, leave nothing but a cleaner Drakensberg.
Last edit: 27 Apr 2016 19:40 by intrepid.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Captain, AdrianT, Richard Hunt

More
29 Apr 2016 05:29 #68092 by Gkotzee
Replied by Gkotzee on topic Berg Alert 2016
Myself and three ladies (one my ten year old daughter) started at the chain ladders on 22 April and slept that night in the valley of the tributary of the Kubebdu leading up to Icidi pass (where the tributary curves to the South). On the 23rd we slept 300m from Mbundini pass. To say we're shocked to hear about the incident is an understatement (we only walked out yesterday). It seems that we camped very close to where the attack occurred, does anyone know exactly how close?

More
29 Apr 2016 07:47 #68096 by AdrianT
Replied by AdrianT on topic Berg Alert 2016
@Ranger

Hi Stephen, my digital VHF radio (Icom) has a frequency range of 136-174 Hz, I used it for when I still did paragliding, and I can listen in to what Cape Town Port Control is doing :whistle: . So I was thinking if you would be so kind as to give me a frequency I could use for an emergency, that would be great. The range is good, typically 20 to 30km so it should (hopefully) work. It would make the world of difference to us and also potentially aid in apprehending the suspects. Just a thought. Thanks, Adrian

More
29 Apr 2016 08:20 - 29 Apr 2016 08:26 #68098 by tonymarshall
Replied by tonymarshall on topic Berg Alert 2016
Hi Gkotzee,

It's not clear exactly where in the valley below Fangs Pass Jody and his group were camping, but if you assume it was around Madonna and Her Worshippers, and you were 300 m from Mbundini Pass you were within 1.5 km of where the attack occurred. If it was more opposite Fangs Pass where they were camping it is about 3 km from where you were. Scary that Richard Hunt mentions an almost identical 'unreported' attack in that same area a few months ago.
Last edit: 29 Apr 2016 08:26 by tonymarshall.

More