Berg Alert 2016

08 May 2016 17:25 #68324 by Serious tribe
Replied by Serious tribe on topic Berg Alert 2016
Well the cat is truly out of the bag now. Hopefully there will be enough noise to get something done about it, and catch and bring these thugs to justice.

movemag.co.za/kzn-hikers-attacked-on-remote-drakensberg-mountain/#.Vy9YQquA_8s

www.timeslive.co.za/sundaytimes/stnews/2016/05/08/Bandits-lay-siege-to-popular-KZN-mountain-hiking-trail

www.biznews.com/undictated/2016/05/06/things-fall-apart-drakensberg-hikers-attacked-thieves-dogs/

IOL got it slightly wrong and mentioned that it was in Fangs Pass, rather than being in a valley that leads to the top of Fangs Pass.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
08 May 2016 20:33 #68346 by Ranger
Replied by Ranger on topic Berg Alert 2016
NOTICE REGARDING THE PROPOSED CLOSURE OF THE AMPHITHEATRE:

Please note that we have delayed the final decision on the proposed closure of the Amphitheatre until after the 31st of May stakeholder meeting. We hope by all means to prevent this drastic action from being taken, bearing in mind that the safety of hikers is foremost in our minds and that stakeholder engagement will ultimately guide decisions on the future of this area. This is an opportunity for us all to make a difference and we welcome your input. Thus, the date proposed initally for closure of the 20th of May is withdrawn.

More
08 May 2016 20:36 #68347 by Ranger
TO ALL STAKEHOLDERS IN THE AMPHITHEATRE :
The stakeholder meeting to discuss the plan going forward is scheduled for the 31st of May 2016 at the Royal Natal Education Centre at 10h00. We would welcome all shareholders who wish to contribute to the positive future of the Amphitheatre as a premier hiking destination and gateway to the Berg.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ghaznavid, saros

More
11 May 2016 13:53 #68401 by Viking
Replied by Viking on topic Berg Alert 2016
Urgent!!!

If the chaps involved in the incident could contact me or if anyone can pass the message on to them I'd appreciate it.

I have made contact with the LMP in Mokhotlong through a source and they are wanting a list of stolen items urgently. They know about the incident and are investigating. I can't say more than that at the moment.

Dave and the guys must also put together a statement at some stage and be willing to travel to Mokhotlong if arrests are made but for now the list is important.

I have the LMP officers number and he is waiting for our response.

My email is carldreyer5 at gmail dot com.

Thanks.

“Today is your day! Your mountain is waiting, So… get on your way!”

More
11 May 2016 14:19 #68403 by Papa Dragon
Replied by Papa Dragon on topic Berg Alert 2016
Thanks for your efforts Viking, sure we all appreciate it..,.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Captain, saros

More
12 May 2016 13:48 #68422 by Coeta
The following user(s) said Thank You: ghaznavid, saros

More
12 May 2016 21:26 #68425 by Ranger

Viking wrote: Urgent!!!

If the chaps involved in the incident could contact me or if anyone can pass the message on to them I'd appreciate it.

I have made contact with the LMP in Mokhotlong through a source and they are wanting a list of stolen items urgently. They know about the incident and are investigating. I can't say more than that at the moment.

Dave and the guys must also put together a statement at some stage and be willing to travel to Mokhotlong if arrests are made but for now the list is important.

I have the LMP officers number and he is waiting for our response.

My email is carldreyer5 at gmail dot com.

Thanks.

@ Viking

We are in constant contact with the LMP and I forwarded them a comprehensive list the day after the incident, together with details for the three injured hikers. Please could you pass on the details for the person you are dealing with I would appreciate it. We can apply pressure from our side too.

We are also in communication with the SANDF, who have taken over borderline control. Watch this space...
The following user(s) said Thank You: Captain

More
12 May 2016 21:56 - 12 May 2016 21:57 #68426 by Smurfatefrog
Replied by Smurfatefrog on topic Berg Alert 2016
I have seen about 20 versions of where the attack actually took place.
To clarify: the spot is on the Kubedu River at 28°48'28.79"S 28°53'40.56"E .
Thanks to the guys for providing this

Please login or register to view the image attached to this post.

Last edit: 12 May 2016 21:57 by Smurfatefrog.
The following user(s) said Thank You: JonWells, ghaznavid, tonymarshall, ruthtbl, Philip, AdrianT, Redshift3, Biomech

More
13 May 2016 06:15 #68429 by Philip
Replied by Philip on topic Berg Alert 2016
@Smurfatefrog

Thank you! I my opinion it is vitally important to know exactly where incidents like this occur.

This is the first completely accurate location I have had (almost a month after the incident) following more than a few phone calls!

I would like to suggest (and intend to do so at the stakeholders meeting on 31 May) that EKZN Wildlife issue an accurate and detailed press release (on the lines of a military 'sitrep') as soon as possible after any incident of this nature to prevent speculation and minimise inaccurate reporting in the media.
The following user(s) said Thank You: JonWells, Captain

More
13 May 2016 08:23 #68430 by Sabine
Replied by Sabine on topic Berg Alert 2016
Thank you for that exact location. It is, in fact, quite a bit inland and not near the escarpment.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Philip

More