Berg Alert 2016

13 May 2016 08:27 - 13 May 2016 09:32 #68431 by tonymarshall
Replied by tonymarshall on topic Berg Alert 2016
Thanks Smurf, good to finally know where this happened. How on earth did Fangs Pass ever become involved as a location for this incident?
Last edit: 13 May 2016 09:32 by tonymarshall.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Philip, Biomech

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 May 2016 08:45 #68432 by ghaznavid
Replied by ghaznavid on topic Berg Alert 2016

tonymarshall wrote: How on earth did Fangs Pass ever become involved in as a location for this incident?

I was wondering the same thing!

On night 1 of my GT last December, we considered camping just upstream from there, but thought better of it. Instead we went 1km up the river towards Icidi Pass and found a nice concealed spot.

More
13 May 2016 08:48 #68433 by Viking
Replied by Viking on topic Berg Alert 2016

Ranger wrote: @ Viking

We are in constant contact with the LMP and I forwarded them a comprehensive list the day after the incident, together with details for the three injured hikers. Please could you pass on the details for the person you are dealing with I would appreciate it. We can apply pressure from our side too.

We are also in communication with the SANDF, who have taken over borderline control. Watch this space...

Hi Ranger,

Ok that's good to know, I didn't know what or how much was being done and whilst I don't want to create unnecessary admin for anyone or be a hindrance, I believe that the more angles we cover and apply pressure from, the greater our chances of a positive outcome.

I have emailed you all my info.

“Today is your day! Your mountain is waiting, So… get on your way!”
The following user(s) said Thank You: Macc

More
07 Jun 2016 10:35 #68672 by PBoshoff
Replied by PBoshoff on topic Berg Alert 2016
Hi Ranger

Please let us know how we can assist in the process. I am plannin a traverse for th 27th of August till the 10th of September, so any advice on how I can help to help keep the trail open would be great.

Thanks
The following user(s) said Thank You: Herman

More
14 Jun 2016 15:26 - 14 Jun 2016 18:09 #68826 by Richard Hunt
Replied by Richard Hunt on topic Berg Alert 2016
I found a very interesting Blog today and spent some time going through it....... written by Willem Pelser. I wonder who on VE knows him or of him. His love of the Drakensberg is extremely evident and the articles reveal his in-depth experience of the mountains. This article/Blog (The Unacceptable Factor) highlights yet again the need to be alert!! hikingthedrakensberg.blogspot.co.za/2016/05/drakensberg-wilderness-unacceptable.html
Last edit: 14 Jun 2016 18:09 by Richard Hunt.
The following user(s) said Thank You: elinda, Captain, Redshift3, GriffBaker

More
20 Sep 2016 10:33 #69822 by FrikS
Replied by FrikS on topic Berg Alert 2016
Hi
What are the current arrangements if a group of people would like to hike there for the day?
Thanks
Frik

More
20 Sep 2016 13:17 #69824 by Ranger
Replied by Ranger on topic Berg Alert 2016
Hi Frik

At this stage status quo remains ie: the area is open for overnighting as well as day visits. We do however advise the use of a guide for day hikes and do not encourage overnighting in the area. Those wishing to overnight can do so but are strongly advised to take a guide and security with them, set up watch systems etc at night, and go with a minimum group size of six people. The area has been quiet crime wise for a few months since the SANDF began their patrols there, but at this stage they are not overnighting there which means that we do not advise overnighting there.
The following user(s) said Thank You: AndrewP, FrikS

More
09 Oct 2016 02:14 - 09 Oct 2016 02:18 #69983 by Serious tribe
Replied by Serious tribe on topic Berg Alert 2016
I thought i would post this link on the topic as it might have some relevance in the macro environment of safety and security in Lesotho. It would appear that the security apparatus has a lot to worry about at the moment. Whether this has an influence on the general lawless in some parts of the Berg is debatable, however one cant afford to forget about the macro dynamics of an area and how these play out.

While we cant influence what goes on in the country, what it means is that vigilance and practical sense might still be the only way we as hikers can protect ourselves. The fact that most interactions, read the recent one that Ghaz posted, are pleasant is in our favour. We need to try and keep it that way.

www.dailymaverick.co.za/article/2016-10-06-amabhungane-lesothos-litany-of-unsolved-political-murders/#.V_mE-jJh2O9
Last edit: 09 Oct 2016 02:18 by Serious tribe.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Ranger

More
10 Oct 2016 08:03 - 10 Oct 2016 08:05 #69985 by Richard Hunt
Replied by Richard Hunt on topic Berg Alert 2016
@ Serious tribe: Interesting article Karl and yes I reckon in some way these political murders and other underhand activities in the hierarchy of the government can influence the mindset of the general public, exactly like what is happening in SA. We do live in a fairly lawless country and at the end of the day we as hikers have to protect ourselves especially in the isolated parts of the Maloti/Drakensberg. This is quoted from the email that Charl Brummer sent you.... "Please enjoy the Mountains and go into them, enjoy them, but at the same time be aware that there are security issues just like most places in South Africa so take precautions when going out into the wilderness areas"
Last edit: 10 Oct 2016 08:05 by Richard Hunt.

More
29 Nov 2016 10:52 #70271 by Ranger
Replied by Ranger on topic Berg Alert 2016
***UPDATE*** regarding hiking in the Amphitheatre region:

Following engagement with stakeholders Ezemvelo KZN Wildlife has adopted the following summarised into the form of signage which will soon be erected. The bottom line is that we strongly discourage overnighting in that area and that day hikes are preferable with a guide.

TO ALL HIKERS

Due to the risk of theft and other unlawful activity hikers are advised not to overnight in the area from the chain ladders to Fangs Pass on top of the escarpment. Use of a guide is recommended for all day hikes in the above area. A minimum party size of four hikers and a guide is recommended. Ezemvelo KZN Wildlife regrets any inconvenience caused but will not be liable for the safety of persons or their property. Your understanding and cooperation is appreciated.

Further to this we advise hikers to fill out the mountain rescue register and to ensure that they sign out upon return.

Please note: As of the 1st of Jan 2017, hikers entering the World Heritage Site (Royal Natal Section) will be required to pay entry fees and be in possession of proof of payment. At this stage, entry for adults is R40, children under 12 R20, and overnighting R60 pppn. We intend implementing the sale of ticket books to surrounding establishments and guides who should then be able to sell entries into the Park without the hassle of physically having to pay at Royal Natal. The good part in this is that it ensures you are fully covered for the cost of Mountain Rescue throughout the entire Drakensberg, especially for those doing the GT and shorter overnight trips. Please note though that spot checks will be undertaken from the 1st and that those who are not in possession of proof of payment (ie entry tickets) may be prosecuted. Below is a copy of the notice that will soon be in place at both entry points:

MALOTI-DRAKENSBERG PARK
WORLD HERITAGE SITE

NOTICE TO VISITORS

PLEASE TAKE NOTE THAT ALL VISITORS ACCESSING THE MALOTI-DRAKENSBERG PARK WORLD HERITAGE SITE FROM WITSIESHOEK MOUNTAIN RESORT/SENTINEL CAR PARK ARE REQUIRED TO PAY APPLICABLE ENTRANCE/CAMPING FEES.

ACCESS TO THE WORLD HERITAGE SITE FROM SENTINEL CAR PARK BEGINS ONCE YOU REACH THE FLAT ESCARPMENT ABOVE THE CHAIN LADDERS:

ENTRANCE FEES: ADULTS R40
CHILDREN (3-12 YEARS) R20

OVERNIGHT CAMPING FEES: PER PERSON PER NIGHT R60
PLEASE RETAIN YOUR INVOICE AT ALL TIMES ON YOUR WALK AS YOU MAY BE REQUESTED TO PRODUCE IT AS PROOF OF PAYMENT.

A portion of the entrance fee is paid into the Ezemvelo KZN Wildlife Emergency Rescue levy. This levy will be used to cover costs in the event of a Mountain Rescue by Ezemvelo KZN Wildlife.

All visitors entering the World Heritage Site must please complete the Mountain Rescue Register and sign out on their return. This information could save your life.

Entrance to the World Heritage Site is entirely at the visitor’s own risk and Ezemvelo KZN Wildlife will not be held liable for any claim

EMERGENCY CONTACT NUMBERS FOR EMERGENCIES IN THE WORLD HERITAGE SITE:

CONSERVATION MANAGER ROYAL NATAL 082 459 0279 OR 036 4386 412 (ALL HOURS)
MAHAI DUTY MANAGER 076 588 4656 (ALL HOURS)
THENDELE DUTY MANAGER 072 186 2188 (ALL HOURS)
MOUNTAIN CLUB OF SA 0800 005 133 (ALL HOURS)

THANK YOU AND ENJOY YOUR HIKE

To quote John Muir - " Climb the mountains and get their good tidings".
The following user(s) said Thank You: Serious tribe, ghaznavid, tonymarshall, pfoj, AdrianT, Macc

More