Berg Alert 2016

29 Nov 2016 11:49 - 29 Nov 2016 11:52 #70272 by Viking
Replied by Viking on topic Berg Alert 2016
That last number is not technically a Mountain club number but the Provincial Health toll free number which if necessary would be rerouted to the MCSA.
A technicality I know, but worth mentioning.

“Today is your day! Your mountain is waiting, So… get on your way!”
Last edit: 29 Nov 2016 11:52 by Viking.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
29 Nov 2016 13:43 - 29 Nov 2016 13:45 #70274 by Ranger
Replied by Ranger on topic Berg Alert 2016
Last edit: 29 Nov 2016 13:45 by Ranger. Reason: duplication of precious post

More
30 Nov 2016 02:09 #70281 by Serious tribe
Replied by Serious tribe on topic Berg Alert 2016
Thanx for the update Ranger. This is certainly a sad day, a no camping on the escarpment between Chain Ladder and Fangs advisory.

Does this have a sunset date?
How much stakeholder input was there from the Lesotho side, and what thoughts did they have on the matter?

More
30 Nov 2016 09:22 #70285 by Ranger

Serious tribe wrote:
Does this have a sunset date?
How much stakeholder input was there from the Lesotho side, and what thoughts did they have on the matter?

Unfortunately despite numerous attempts to engage with Lesotho over this matter there was no response at all to any of our written, telephonic, and other communications with them.

More
30 Nov 2016 10:32 #70286 by Ranger
Having said that, we intend engaging with local community structures in Lesotho through established social welfare entities as part of the strategy for managing that area. At this stage we are investigating the extension of our community levy system currently in place to involve Lesotho as well, so that the tangible benefits paid from hiker entry fees are realised with our neighboring Lesotho communities. This is also part of the longer term security strategy for that area.
The following user(s) said Thank You: AdrianT, Macc, andrew r, wookie, GriffBaker

More
18 Dec 2016 15:51 #70393 by abrahamvlok
Replied by abrahamvlok on topic Berg Alert 2016
Hi Everyone,

I am planning a hike in Injasuthi area over the next few days. I have done many hikes over the past 15 years in the area...so it is not snakes and weather that concerns me. What is the situation like in Injasuthi?

Abraham

More
18 Dec 2016 16:51 #70394 by Biomech
Replied by Biomech on topic Berg Alert 2016
Hi Abraham.

Injisuthi is very safe due to the lack of smuggling activity in the area. On the escarpment you may encounter Basotho shepherds etc. This will be no more uncommon than any other area in the Betg and there are no recorded incidents in recent times.

Enjoy the hike!

More
18 Dec 2016 19:09 #70395 by marggraffd
Replied by marggraffd on topic Berg Alert 2016
Hello everyone!

So, yesterday, my family and I did a quick accent of Rhino Peak and so I thought I would just update you on the security situation. We left quite early and so on the way up we didn't encounter any Shephards / Basutos. On our return, though, we encountered 8 - 10 of them dressed in balacalavas. They sat at the top of Masai Pass with their dogs. We greeted them and kept walking whilst one of them asked for money. I promptly answered no. They did come across in an intimidating way but didn't do anything to us. After talking to some of the locals they said that when the Rangers go up, they take a gun with and that those specific locals, don't like going up there anymore, at least not in a small group. So I would just advise caution and to just be aware of it.

I also thought I would just mention that Masai Pass is, at times, in a bad state and that if anyone is planning on doing it soon or wants info on it, just PM me.
The following user(s) said Thank You: andrew r

More
19 Dec 2016 00:04 - 19 Dec 2016 01:54 #70396 by abrahamvlok
Replied by abrahamvlok on topic Berg Alert 2016
Thanks!

I see Masai pass is in the Underberg area and quite far from Injesuthi...we will be sleeping somehwere on way on the way to Leslies' top this time tomorrow!
Last edit: 19 Dec 2016 01:54 by abrahamvlok.

More
21 Dec 2016 09:28 #70422 by DavidE373
Replied by DavidE373 on topic Berg Alert 2016
How much of a risk would it be camping on top of the Amphitheatre on Christmas eve, one would assume that the mountain should be quiet but I don't want to be too complacent either.. Thoughts/advice?

Fortitudine Vincimus

More