Security Update for the Giants Castle / Langalibalele / Bannerman Pass Area

16 Apr 2018 13:26 #73211 by Paul J
Hi

While I have done a lot of hiking in the Berg I no longer live full time in South Africa and so would appreciate any feedback on the present security situation for the following hike

Dates: May 2018
Route: Giants Castle - Giants Ridge - Contour Path - Langalibalele Pass - Lesotho - Bannerman Pass - Giants Castle
Group: 2 adults, 2 young children.

When I last visited the Berg in 2016 there were various security concerns in these areas.

Updates on the current situation would be appreciated.

With thanks

Paul

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 Apr 2018 15:59 #73216 by leeuw
Hi Paul

We did the Bannerman pass Langies loop over the Easter weekend. Second night we tented about 500m from Langies pass. We were a group of 4.

Another group did the same route as we did.

No problems at all. Only saw one shepard. Conditions were misty and wet.

Cheers
The following user(s) said Thank You: Paul J

More
17 Apr 2018 16:04 #73229 by Dave
Hi Paul,

I went up Jarding and down Bannerman a month ago. There were many shepherds on top - all very friendly, I was solo, and all the shepherds asked about this, but I never felt vulnerable. Take the necessary precautions if you plan on camping on top. There haven't been problems for several years, as far as I recall.

Also, given your route, just bear in mind (in case you don't know) that Giant's Hut is in a state of disrepair.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Paul J

More
18 Apr 2018 02:32 - 18 Apr 2018 02:42 #73231 by Paul J
Thanks for the updates. Seems the Giants area is once again good.

I was surprised to see a post that suggested that hikers were under risk of attack in the Bannerman Pass area. - the few Basuto that I encountered in the past on the top of the escarpment were always friendly.

There is always the risk anywhere in Africa that someone will steal things off you overnight given what they see as an opportunity - but this is easily countered. However attacks on hikers would be an entirely different level of escalation.

Paul
Last edit: 18 Apr 2018 02:42 by Paul J.

More