Amphitheatre Hike for December

27 Nov 2018 16:48 #74281 by Serious tribe
Hi guys
I and a few friends are keen on doing a trip onto the amphitheatre dec 16 long weekend.  Has anyone hiked and camped there recently?  Any info on the security situation and river levels would be useful.  We would be camping near Ribbon/Bilanjil falls area for two nights.

The major incidents that occurred during april were near fangs, but there has been petty theft in this area in the past.  Although I have experienced none in the three or so hikes that i have done here, some recent intel would be useful.  The moon will also be at first quarter.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
27 Nov 2018 18:00 #74282 by Colan
Hi Tribe

Four of us were in the area at the end of last month. Went from Sentinel to Ifidi Cave and then back to Crow's Nest via Mt Amery, Ribbon falls and Tugela falls. The water levels in all the streams were very low, but there was some minor flow and we didn't have problems finding water. There has been quite a bit of rain since, so I'm sure there will be sufficient water.

We also saw no signs of Basotho, and while we didn't camp near the falls (we spent the night in Crow's Nest), a few others did, including one solo tent that was pretty isolated. No one reported any trouble. The general security precautions apply, of course.

Ribbon falls is a lot more isolated than Bilanjil an Tugela, so would be the safest bet if you are really worried. I wouldn't treat any of these spots as a base camp and venture out leaving your gear unattended, however (just in terms of you spending two nights in the same spot).

More
28 Nov 2018 10:36 #74284 by Riaang
@Serious Tribe,

We'll be in the same area over the same dates, hope to see you there :-)

More
30 Nov 2018 11:25 #74294 by MarkT
Camped at Ribbon Falls a few weeks ago, saw other campers nearby and no basotho. 

More
30 Nov 2018 12:43 #74295 by Herman
Don't want to be the paranoid guy, and I could well be wrong, but to my mind most incidents occur on the popular long weekends. Maybe @Intrepid has better stats on this. But I would say that the likelihood of an incident on the Amphi is slightly higher on that long weekend than it would normally be. I would also put my money on the suspects not being local herdsmen, i.e. local Basotho activity may not be indicative of safety.

More
01 Dec 2018 18:30 - 01 Dec 2018 18:55 #74301 by Serious tribe
Thanks for your comments.  

With regards the rainfall, there was 67mm in October, but only 10mm measured for November.  The average for November over the last 18 years has been 94mm.  This was measured at RNP, and seems to be up to date.  It would seem though that across the berg the levels of rainfall have been low so far this summer.

Anyone with more info on this is welcome to chime in.

Please login or register to view the image attached to this post.

Last edit: 01 Dec 2018 18:55 by Serious tribe.

More