Berg Alert 2019

13 May 2019 12:41 #75025 by Serious tribe
Replied by Serious tribe on topic Berg Alert 2019
This is not an incident in the berg, rather it shows that incidents sadly happen elsewhere as well..

www.backpacker.com/news-and-events/appalachian-trail-attack
The following user(s) said Thank You: Philip, CBlything

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 May 2019 18:49 #75027 by Grandeur
Replied by Grandeur on topic Berg Alert 2019
Wow! Psycho!!
Hope I never meet anyone like that in the Berg (be it hiker, local or Lesotho army) 

Can’t believe nothing was done after the first few reports about that crazy man. There is a culture of being too tolerant all over the world because we are too scared of upsetting an individual 

More
02 Dec 2019 09:59 #75507 by Oneye
Replied by Oneye on topic Berg Alert 2019
i am very wary to present my passport to people not in authority.  meaning, i ask for their id if i am suspicious.  that can escalate things post haste.  would someone pls get the policy of the LDF.  surely they require their (especially armed) soldiers who have been entrusted with authority to check passports to carry a badge of authority.  if so, that de-escalates things rapidly because the men know that if bad reports get back to their commander, and an international incident is always bad, they may lose rank and pay.  i would like a letter from the LDF that every hiker can carry stating their policy.  if in Lesotho, the LDF letter can be presented, their id can be recorded, i produce my passport, answer relevant questions, get my passport back, and go on my way.  should they decline to return my passport, or be rude or threatening, that will be reported.  they are not likely to arrest or shoot, because that's an international incident.

I have encountered Lesotho police (not soldiers) and they have been well trained, professional and friendly.  15 years ago I encountered a lone border soldier on horse and he was very friendly.  so I consider these camo men to be rogues.  their commanding officer needs to know and needs to take action.

The lax border control by SADF is now paying dividends in that we have given up our land to Basotho invaders.  My encounters with the local herders has deteriorated over the decades as their population has exploded and they have invaded the buttresses and castles (the watershed) with domestic animals and killed all the wildlife.  As you know, they do not eat their animals.  nor do they milk them.  the herders rely on wild game to survive.  so now i hike the barrens and they are hungry.  i am carrying food and they are hungry.  it does not make for pleasant encounters.  my salvation is that i'll be dead soon.  sorry to the young generations for the mess.  the berg full of wildlife is a thing of the past.

More