Sleeping Bags

29 Jun 2022 14:53 #77839 by Riaang
Replied by Riaang on topic Sleeping Bags
JGL,

My wife has the ice nino and she is a cold sleeper. She uses it regularly in the berg, but not in winter - for that she uses something beefier - a Capestorm Firefly (which I don't think you get anymore). I started off with the Ice Breaker XL and it works well in the berg. The XL weighs in at around 1.8kg or thereabouts. I still have it and use it mainly if we go camping in deserts where the temperatures often drop drops down up to -10DegC. Mine is also probably around 15 years old and still bombproof.

I upgraded to a TNF Blue Kazoo XL a number of years ago though. It is around 500g lighter and a degree or 2 warmer. It is also narrower, definitely less empty air to heat up at night. Slightly claustrophobic though, but I've learned to turn with my bag, as opposed to inside my bag as I could do with the Ice Breaker.

I'm not a fan of bag liners though. They easily add 400g to your weight and don't believe the marketing nonsense that it will add 7 or 9 degrees. It does add, but not substantially. Except for weight, that is. You can just as well buy the warmer and heavier sleeping bag to start out with. However, if you HAVE TO HAVE a bag liner you are welcome to buy mine - it's gathering dust in my camping crate.

A bivvy is more practical as it will keep the wind off your bag, so you will have less heat being wisked away by the wind. My typical winter setup is my TNF Blue Kazoo inside a breathable bivvy.

Just a quick note on sleeping warm. Rather than looking at a bag on it's own, you've already touched on other components of a sleeping system. Consider these 4:
1 - insulation from the ground. Super important, and you have got 2 layers (air and sponge) so that should be fine for July in the Berg
2 - staying out f the wind. Either in a cave, tent, bivvy or behind some rocks
3 - warm sleeping bag. a +10 beg ain't gonna help much in July, I can guarantee you that, and
4 - the food you have for dinner. Protein and fat goes a long way to ramp up your metabolism.

Whatever option you go for, make sure you sleep warm at night!!!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
30 Jun 2022 07:36 #77840 by JGL
Replied by JGL on topic Sleeping Bags
Morning All.Thanks DanielJNaude, I have sent Hex Valley an email asking for some details and I will see what they come back with as well.@ Riaang, I definitely will be doing my best to staying out of the wind.  This trip is to what I believe is a decent cave, so I hope that aspect of it will be fine.  I am also going to leave the bag liner for the moment, but I had not really considered a bivy until now, so I am also going to start investigating those.For the moment, unless Hex valley come back to me with something great, I am probably going to get the Ice Breaker, as I have seen it in a lot of the stores near me as well.Thanks again for all your advice. Its been a huge help.

More
30 Jun 2022 14:09 #77844 by Riaang
@JGL - I've had a Hex Valley down bag as well - sold it recently. They made one for me for an Everest trip a few years back. Super warm. Spent my coldest night in the Berg (-14 Deg C in the tent) at Giants Castle in this bag, and my Fenix watch recorded a temperature of 28 deg on my arm. This thing weighed in at 2.2kgs though, but it worked well.

So, their bag are warm, and definitely cheaper than an Ice-Breaker. They use good quality down as well - I pulled a couple of down feathers from the bag to make it lighter, er, I mean to inspect the down quality, and they were all 4cm or longer so the bag should retain its fluffiness for many years.

Both are warm bags that should work fine in the Berg.

Regarding the bivvy, make sure it has a breathable upper else you will have condensation inside, leading to a wet sleeping bag. Mine is an Alpine bivvy from RAB with an Event upper and in the 5 years or so I've been using it, I've only once experienced a bit of condensation in it.

More
08 Sep 2022 15:46 - 09 Sep 2022 07:40 #77999 by Beard
Replied by Beard on topic Sleeping Bags
Hi All,
Not sure if there is another place for comments on GEAR and not just USED GEAR FOR SALE. My question is as follows - im looking for a down sleeping bag, mostly for the weight/compact nature, however I really struggle with skinny tapered leg section. Does anyone know if one can buy a down sleeping bag, that is compact but does not taper at the legs? I have checked all the local shops and have had no luck. I see many online, but this is always a risk for considering the cost of these items. Any help is appreciated.

Last edit: 09 Sep 2022 07:40 by JonWells. Reason: Post moved to sleeping bag thread

More
08 Sep 2022 20:38 #78000 by Edwin128
Replied by Edwin128 on topic Sleeping Bags
What the sea to summit spark series?. They are expensive as well. They are ultralight, but I think you must import them. You can use amazon.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Beard

More
09 Sep 2022 07:41 #78001 by Papa Dragon
Replied by Papa Dragon on topic Sleeping Bags

Hi All,
Not sure if there is another place for comments on GEAR and not just USED GEAR FOR SALE. My question is as follows - im looking for a down sleeping bag, mostly for the weight/compact nature, however I really struggle with skinny tapered leg section. Does anyone know if one can buy a down sleeping bag, that is compact but does not taper at the legs? I have checked all the local shops and have had no luck. I see many online, but this is always a risk for considering the cost of these items. Any help is appreciated.

Hey Beard
Check Makoti's website
.co.za/down-products/outdoors/down-sleeping-bags-rectangular-mummy

More
09 Sep 2022 08:33 #78002 by Riaang
Hi Beard,

The FA Ice Breaker has quite a lot of space, check it out. Compared to my TNF Blue Kazoo, it has much more legroom.
You could also try Hex Valley down, they can manufacture a down bag to your specifications. I used them in 2016 to make me a bag I took to Everest (EBC) and it worked well.

More
10 Sep 2022 11:34 #78005 by Carl Gebhard
Replied by Carl Gebhard on topic Sleeping bags
Hello Mr. Beard
Consider the Vaude Marwees, available at Mountain Mail Order (City rock).
I have physically looked at and it's good quality. The construction is good. Vaude mostly do recycled fabrics and down, very eco etc.
It's not super small but well priced, here at is...

www.mountainmailorder.co.za/vaude-marwees-700-down-sleeping-bag/

More