Sleeping bags

25 Jun 2015 12:48 #64383 by Silverthorne
Replied by Silverthorne on topic Sleeping bags
Hey guys, Does anyone have experience with Oztrail equipment. But sleeping bags specifically, They have them on takealot at a good price.

www.takealot.com/oztrail-blaxland-right-zip-hooded-cold-weather-sleeping-bag-oran/PLID32721137

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
30 Jul 2015 19:14 - 31 Jul 2015 09:03 #64696 by ghaznavid
Replied by ghaznavid on topic Sleeping bags
I haven't been overly impressed with Cape Union since I bought my Kilimanjaro sleeping bag. It is a 1.65kg down bag advertised as a 1.45kg -8 comfort bag (this is even what the sleeping bag cover says). If you weigh it you find the weight to be wrong, and the sleeping bag interior says -1 comfort -8 extreme. My 1.4kg Mountain Hardwear Pinole -5 bag is significantly warmer and lighter despite being a synthetic bag. Incidentally I discovered that my K-Way Kilimanjaro sleeping bag was not warm enough for Kilimanjaro :laugh:

They do usually repair gear that is damaged though - so I am surprised they can't send your tent for repairs. They sent my raincoat in for repairs last year even though it was 5 years old.

Wow - just saw this is my 2600th post. That is actually really sad. Maybe I should get banned from this site...
Last edit: 31 Jul 2015 09:03 by JonWells.

More
30 Jul 2015 19:47 - 31 Jul 2015 09:04 #64697 by Papa Dragon
Replied by Papa Dragon on topic Sleeping bags

Richard Hunt wrote: So now I must scrap the tent and buy a tent from a different supplier (Bush & Bundu, Pietermaritzburg) who carry tent pole replacements.

Bush and Bundu is a great shop. I try them first for most things. Good selection of stock, reasonable prices and knowledgable sales people. And if they don't stock, they will try and get for you.
Last edit: 31 Jul 2015 09:04 by JonWells.

More
30 Jul 2015 23:00 - 31 Jul 2015 09:04 #64699 by Dillon
Replied by Dillon on topic Sleeping bags

ghaznavid wrote: I haven't been overly impressed with Cape Union since I bought my Kilimanjaro sleeping bag. It is a 1.65kg down bag advertised as a 1.45kg -8 comfort bag (this is even what the sleeping bag cover says). If you weigh it you find the weight to be wrong

Are you sure you didn't get an extra length one by accident? Mine weighs 1520 grams. Still over, but not by much. I can't complain at all about it. It's practically the same bag as a First Ascent Ice Breaker, only K-Way improved the foot box IMHO.

"Mountains are not fair or unfair, they are just dangerous."

More
30 Jul 2015 23:18 - 31 Jul 2015 09:04 #64700 by ghaznavid
I don't have the extra length one. I bought it on the assumption that it is equivalent to an Ice Breaker, but having never owned an Ice Breaker I can't really compare them. I got it on a really good sale, but it kind of functions as my spare bag these days. I wouldn't trust it on a night where yr.no is forecasting -10, for example.

My new winter bag is a Mountain Hardwear Hyperlamina Torch -16C synthetic bag. It is the long variation (all they had in stock at short notice) and weighs roughly 1.8kg. I am yet to try it on a mountain (next weekend will be its debut), but on the couch in front of the TV on a cold night I had to take it off after about 3 minutes. A friend brought it from the States for me, so it wasn't any more expensive than the standard price of a K-Way Kilimanjaro or FA Ice Breaker.

My summer bag will remain my Mountain Hardwear Pinole for now.

The more research I do, the more it seems that SA doesn't produce such great sleeping bags. For the most part there is a lot of great gear produced locally, but SA's down sleeping bags don't even compete with Mountain Hardwear's synthetic bags (in terms of comparing quoted numbers anyway).

More
31 Jul 2015 08:10 - 31 Jul 2015 09:04 #64701 by GerritHuman
Replied by GerritHuman on topic Sleeping bags
Ghaznavid, please write a proper review after using the Mountain Hardwear Hyperlamina Torch -16C synthetic bag. I am looking for a sleeping bag that will last me a lifetime in cold conditions.

For summer I recently purchased a FA Packlite, and it folds up very small! Earlier this year I used it on the Amphi at around 2-5°C and it was fine.

Dillon I am currently looking for a bag and I am recording specs in an excel sheet as I go ;) . But I believe the K-Way bag is 1450g 90/10 (650g) and the FA Ice Breaker is 1400g 92/8 (850g).
To my research the K-Way should be about 3-4°C warmer (I have never owned any of these bags, it's my theoretical comparison).

More
31 Jul 2015 08:16 - 31 Jul 2015 09:05 #64702 by Stukaman
Replied by Stukaman on topic Sleeping bags
Richard, you can get fibre tent poles from outdoor w/h. Measure the diameter of your poles and get the closest, then cut the last section to get the overall length you need.
Last edit: 31 Jul 2015 09:05 by JonWells.

More
31 Jul 2015 08:23 - 31 Jul 2015 09:05 #64703 by GerritHuman
Replied by GerritHuman on topic Sleeping bags
Ghaznavid, where are you going next weekend? Drakensberg I assume?
We are starting at Injasuti heading to Mafadi. Hopefully we will still find a fair bit of snow...

More
31 Jul 2015 08:40 - 31 Jul 2015 09:05 #64704 by ghaznavid
@GerritHuman: Will do. I am heading to the Free State with AndrewP - should be an epic!

I am actually due a few gear reviews for the last few things Hi-Tec sent me.

@Moderators: perhaps some of this thread needs to be moved to the sleeping bags thread?

Jon Edit: Posts moved from Sale Warning Thread

More
31 Jul 2015 09:27 #64708 by Viking
Replied by Viking on topic Sleeping bags

GerritHuman wrote: To my research the K-Way should be about 3-4°C warmer (I have never owned any of these bags, it's my theoretical comparison).

850 fill should be warmer than a 650, all other things being equal.

“Today is your day! Your mountain is waiting, So… get on your way!”

More