Sleeping bag liners

06 Mar 2013 11:48 - 06 Mar 2013 16:45 #56189 by ghaznavid
Replied by ghaznavid on topic Sleeping bag liners
Oh - I thought you were saying your normal jacket does, but the X-Country Mountain jacket doesn't. Those combo ones with a built in fleece are insanely heavy.

As with all manufacturers, they have some good stuff and some bad stuff. Their cheapest fleece (the challenger fleece) is insanely warm and weighs basically nothing, yet their more expensive thicker fleeces are nowhere near as warm, yet much heavier.

The jacket label just says "technical design" (so not sure on the actual name), it cost R700 at the time, but probably has a different name now anyway and would also have a different price these days - I think its about R800 now. Its the one that looks like this:

Getting to the top is nothing, the way you do it is everything – Royal Robins
Last edit: 06 Mar 2013 16:45 by ghaznavid.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
06 Mar 2013 12:45 #56190 by Grandeur
Replied by Grandeur on topic Sleeping bag liners
You guys seem to have left off an important thing... a camera! :whistle:

Add a Canon 5D3, 17-40 lens, 70-200 lens (the heavy f/2.8 IS model), spare batteries and filters and a carbon fibre tripod and you are still looking at another 5kgs but I wouldnt leave for a hike without these extra items.
We did a 4 night hike in Nov last year and my pack weighed 21kg on day 1 without water. It included pretty much everything already listed earlier in the thread. So if I take off my extra 5kg and add on a couple for water then I am about the same weight as you gents.

If you are keen on photography, the gloves with an inner layer help a lot on those cold mornings for when you need some warmth but can't wear those thick gloves because then you can't feel the camera buttons.

More
06 Mar 2013 16:42 #56191 by ghaznavid
Oh yes, a camera. Actually a vital piece of safety equipment :laugh: Although in all seriousness I have actually used photos for navigation purposes many times, so not far from the truth...

My pack weight would include my 2kg of camera, tiny tripod and spare batteries, even though its never in my backpack.

More
07 Mar 2013 05:35 #56192 by intrepid
Replied by intrepid on topic Sleeping bag liners
Coming back to the original question about how much liners increase warmth, I do believe that the rating is subjective and should just cautiously be used as an indicator. Liners at best only supplement what the sleeping bag is designed for, so I'm not that convinced that a +15 deg C increase rating in warmth from a liner is that realistic. It's not necessarily going to make a summer bag suitable for winter use. Sleeping bags are in any case best used as is and as designed.

There is also much to be said about establishing what works for you personally. That does involve being "out there" lots and trying things. Sometimes it also involves experimenting and, unfortunately, buying the wrong thing. Testing sleeping bags in May doesn't sound overly risky to me since its not the coldest month, but do take warm clothes as a back-up and be prepared the possibility of an uncomfortable night.

Personally I would not use the K-Way Extreme Lite 500 in the Berg in May. In some cases and circumstances it may work for others however.

Ive used a First Ascent pertex liner for many years as a way of keeping my sleeping bags clean. Works great, feels comfortable and does add a tiny degree of extra warmth. I also have a First Ascent thermal liner. It does add warmth but it is not the ultimate solution. I've used it with a First Ascent Ice Nino, plus a Cape Storm bivvy bag pulled right over my head, in winter the Berg and still had some uncomfortable nights. I also have a thick fleece liner, which Ive never used in the Berg due its bulkiness. It has been used by others, and in some cases it still didn't keep them warm enough.

Nice to see all the gear chatter. I think the topics of how to save pack weight and how to pack inside the backpacks are each deserving of their own threads and would make for some good discussion in those threads, not here though. Likewise Kway gear in general if off the topic but can be discussed on its own.

Take nothing but litter, leave nothing but a cleaner Drakensberg.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Captain

More
12 Mar 2013 06:53 #56251 by Josh of the Bushveld
thanks for your comments @intrepid.

I agree with your thoughts on splitting threads

More
12 Mar 2013 08:43 #56255 by Josh of the Bushveld
@Ghaz, is your jacket similar to the K-Way Mercury Jacket ? It looks like a decent bit of kit

More
12 Mar 2013 08:50 #56256 by ghaznavid
I imagine that would be the one - its specs and design seem to be roughly the same as mine.

More
12 Mar 2013 09:26 #56257 by Josh of the Bushveld
I'm going to try get hold of one. Quite impressed with its weight (285 grams according to them), though I haven't seen it in hand yet.

More
12 Mar 2013 10:17 #56258 by Captain
Replied by Captain on topic Sleeping bag liners
I have one (red one though), it's made in South Africa and it's an excellent jacket imo...then again I'm biased! :thumbsup:

Not sure where you're situated but you can pick one up at a reduced price at the Cape Union factory shop at Atterbury Value Mart about 3km down the road from Menlyn in Atterbury Road, Pretoria East - R700 I think

More
12 Mar 2013 10:23 #56259 by Josh of the Bushveld
Thanks for the tip.
I'm in central Jo'burg, will see if they have anything at the Woodmead outlet.

More