DIY Tents & Tarps

01 Mar 2017 16:39 #71049 by AdrianT
AdrianT created the topic: DIY Tents & Tarps

Riaang wrote: Correction: a 3m x 3m tarp weighing about 450g is what I ordered, not a tarp tent.

Do you have a link of what you ordered? I may look at making basic tarps for VE members and take it from there depending on what I can offer with pricing and material available. I've got 5 industrial machines currently and that is what my business is - heavy duty bags for windsurfing, kiting, surfing etc.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
02 Mar 2017 07:11 - 02 Mar 2017 07:12 #71052 by wookie
wookie replied to: DIY Tents & Tarps
AdrianT....

I would be interested in something like this if you are looking into making tarps...... www.alpkit.com/products/rig-7
Simple tarp but well made / reinforced and loads of guy-out points

W
Last Edit: 02 Mar 2017 07:12 by wookie.
The following user(s) said Thank You: AdrianT

More
02 Mar 2017 12:22 #71056 by Riaang
Riaang replied to: DIY Tents & Tarps
AdrianT, I do have a link - see below:
www.ddhammocks.com/product/DD_Superlight_Tarp?from_cat=2

Would prefer to support local, cost me quite a bit extra in courier, insurance and customs charges.
Tarp looks well made, material quite thin, will be interesting testing this baby out.

More
02 Mar 2017 12:34 #71057 by AdrianT
AdrianT replied to: DIY Tents & Tarps
Ouch, 65 Quid. I have two materials in stock that can possibly work. I'll PM - would need one or two people to test for several months to give feedback. I don't have a seamsealer (over R100 000) but can get the seams taped. Things are a bit wild now as I am moving my workshop, again :hike:

More
02 Mar 2017 12:37 #71059 by AdrianT
This nylon could work nicely, and I have about 450 metres left....

Please login or register to view the image attached to this post.

More
02 Mar 2017 12:43 #71060 by Riaang
Riaang replied to: DIY Tents & Tarps
Jip, you can basically double it when you add all the other costs to land it at home in SA. Fortunately I had 2 buddies sharing the order with me so I landed it here for just under R2k. Still expensive though, but worth a try :-).

Happy to help with testing. Main criteria for me in selecting this tarp was low weight, strength of the design (obviously Dyneema tarps are stronger but about 3 time smore expensive for only about a 200g weight saving) and lots of tie down points. I think this one has 19 tie down points which makes it very versatile for pitching in different shapes. Well, will camp out in my garden this weekend and give feedback next week. Can already see the kids will want to join us :-)

More
02 Mar 2017 13:12 #71061 by wookie
I would also prefer to buy local if I can....

Seam sealing is the least of the problems. I make my own with turps and non-acid curing silicon sealer (bostic mirror for example)
Soaks into the actual stiches and leaves the silicon behind when the turps evaporates.

What weight per m^2 is the fabric you have in stock?
Is it a sil-nylon or a PU coated? (either would be good.just PUcoated is a tad heavier and bulkier)

W

More
02 Mar 2017 13:27 #71062 by AdrianT

wookie wrote: I would also prefer to buy local if I can....

Seam sealing is the least of the problems. I make my own with turps and non-acid curing silicon sealer (bostic mirror for example)
Soaks into the actual stiches and leaves the silicon behind when the turps evaporates.

What weight per m^2 is the fabric you have in stock?
Is it a sil-nylon or a PU coated? (either would be good.just PUcoated is a tad heavier and bulkier)

W

Seam sealing a 1m length on a machine takes less than 5 seconds and it's done. To make money in industrial the processes need to be fast.

130 g per metre width of 1500mm, it's PU coated. It is very difficult to get good materials in this country actually. Typically you have to buy 1 km of a given colour and type from the overseas chaps. A local company I deal with burnt their fingers more than once importing. First 3 rows in a container was material, rest was water containers. A small business like mine cannot afford that sort of capital outlay, combined with very real risk. But I'll get there. Things like these tarps isn't a priority for me because the market is so minuscule, and to order a thousand metres to sell 10 tarps a year isn't worth it. But if what I have (or find soon) works, happy days.

More
02 Mar 2017 13:44 - 02 Mar 2017 13:48 #71064 by wookie
That is ~90g/m^2. Should work quite well for this.
~800g for a 3x3m (only material).

I think you have hit the nail on the head with regards to the fabric. That is possibly why the guys producing tarps are charging such high prices.

Cool let us know once you have got the new workshop setup and keen to give it a go.

Good luck with the move.....
Last Edit: 02 Mar 2017 13:48 by wookie.

More
02 Mar 2017 19:22 - 02 Mar 2017 19:23 #71065 by Papa Dragon
Papa Dragon replied to: DIY Tents & Tarps
I have a huge disappointment with the tent I have been making, and it has been coming along so nicely..

I have made a couple of other pieces of kit with the same fabric, which is supposedly waterproof. This morning, I noticed that the bag I use for my first aid kit, was a bit "soft", for want of a better description. I could suck air through it, and when I sprayed it with water, it wet out almost immediately. A new piece of the same fabric seems waterproof, with the water beading and rolling off, and no air able to be sucked through. Obviously the waterproofing compound used on the fabric is not very durable to folding, wear etc.

Oh well, better to find out now than in a major storm in the "berg, as Smurf said.... guess I'll be on the hunt for a different fabric,just need to get the motivation to start again after so many hours of work, R&D and mods.
Last Edit: 02 Mar 2017 19:23 by Papa Dragon. Reason: spelling

More