Dehydrated meals / food systems for outdoor enthusiasts

05 Oct 2018 16:07 #74096 by Redshift3
Here's my 10 cents worth!

Besides the already mentioned pro's of convenience and weight the biggest pro for me is "simply add water". The two brands I use both have tear lines half way up the packet and splits to open or widen the base. This is really awesome as once you add the water you can eat out of the container, leaving only the utensil to clean. This is rather important when water is scarce.
The idea of cooking, using several pots and utensils is cool, until you have to use valuable water to wash-up or pack dirty utensils hoping to find water along the way before your next meal.

I'm totally sold on dehydrated meals, yes, cost is a factor but for me its worth it..............R80.00 is a good price depending on the shelf life:)

“You need special shoes for hiking — and a bit of a special soul as well.”
Terri Guillemets

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
09 Oct 2018 10:33 #74111 by aquatrek
@Redshift3, thank for the input, the point about washing up is a valid one, I was thinking about some kind of disposable packaging that could serve as the serving container. Would you mind sharing the brand names you use?

More
12 Oct 2018 11:45 #74116 by Riaang
@auqatrek, the Backcountry meals fit this description. It has a tear off section at the top, then the zip-lock section below the tear off section, and then about halfway down the packet another tear-off point. It has these little cuts on both sides of the package. I use the top tear off point to get the packaging open, then add water, stir and close the zip-lock section. After 10minutes I then open the zip-lock section and decant the contents into a mug for myself, and my wife then eats the rest from the container. She sometimes (depending on the meal), tears off the middle part, like Redshift.

More