Tents

14 Jun 2013 06:07 #57297 by Josh of the Bushveld
Replied by Josh of the Bushveld on topic Tents
I've found 360 Degrees/Natural Instinct (Outdoor/Sportsmans Warehouse brands) to be the best value for money in SA, far better than anything from overseas or CUM or FA.
I have a Trek II (now discontinued) which weighs just over 2kg. I bought it over the Cool Mountain 2, which I rate as a fantastic tent, because I'd like to be able to carry it without sharing the load, and the Cool Mountain 2 is just too heavy for that. Its a great tent shared between 2 though!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 Jun 2013 11:44 #57310 by ASL-Bivak#
Replied by ASL-Bivak# on topic Tents
I can give some feedback on Ghaz's 360deg tent. It's nice and light at 2.2kg, was easy to put up (although it would not be good to put up in a storm because the inner has to go up first and it has a very fiddly brow pole), wind didn't seem to stress it too much (we didn't have high winds by Berg standards though) and accommodation is average to cramped (shoulder to shoulder with not enough length for my 183cm frame to lay straight out).

Overall I feel it's good value for money because you need to spend around 4k to get an imported equivalent. The 4 season rating I don't agree with though and for someone my height I need a longer tent for me and gear... 2 doors are a nice touch which helps ease the smaller floor size

More
14 Jun 2013 12:35 #57312 by john mark 1
Replied by john mark 1 on topic Tents
@Fitness

I have the K-Way Nerolite and have taken it on 3 hikes since getting it and I have had issues

What issues have you had? Will be interested to hear as I'm still not sure if you or Ghaz has got a better tent.

Please do report back how it performs in winter conditions.
(p.s. I hope you get some really strong winds, so that we can get a report on how it holds up to those :P )

More
14 Jun 2013 13:03 #57313 by Josh of the Bushveld
Replied by Josh of the Bushveld on topic Tents

ASL wrote: 2 doors are a nice touch which helps ease the smaller floor size

This is the biggest problem with my tent, is has only door/entrance. I believe the 2-door designs are much better, I definitely prefer them.

More
14 Jun 2013 13:11 #57314 by ghaznavid
Replied by ghaznavid on topic Tents
@ASL: I'm interested in why you say it isn't a 4 season tent?

@John Mark: Naturally I vote for my tent :laugh:

If myself and ASL were squashed in my tent, you should have seen Fitness, Johan (who isn't on VE) and I in Fitness' tent above Tsepeng Pass last year!

More
14 Jun 2013 13:59 #57315 by Sabine
Replied by Sabine on topic Tents

ASL wrote: I can give some feedback on Ghaz's 360deg tent. It's nice and light at 2.2kg,

As far as I can remember the cool mountain 360 deg tent weighs 2,9kg.

ASL wrote: and accommodation is average to cramped (shoulder to shoulder with not enough length for my 183cm frame to lay straight out)..... and for someone my height I need a longer tent for me and gear...

I agree with ASL this tent is not for tall people. I am 1.83m as well and I tried out the tent in the shop......too short for me! So Shorties, this is a tent for you :P

More
14 Jun 2013 14:04 #57316 by Smurfatefrog
Replied by Smurfatefrog on topic Tents

Sabine wrote:
As far as I can remember the cool mountain 360 deg tent weighs 2,9kg.

I agree with ASL this tent is not for tall people. I am 1.83m as well and I tried out the tent in the shop......too short for me! So Shorties, this is a tent for you :P

Yup, mine is 2.9kg
I'm 1.78m and its ok for me, I'm really cramped with a backpack at my feet though

More
14 Jun 2013 14:09 #57317 by ghaznavid
Replied by ghaznavid on topic Tents

Smurfatefrog wrote: Yup, mine is 2.9kg

That's the Cool Mountain III, I have a Cool Mountain II ;)

More
14 Jun 2013 14:14 - 15 Jun 2013 20:51 #57318 by Fitness
Replied by Fitness on topic Tents
On my last hike I shared my tent and I had no problems with 2 of us in the tent. I am however only 1.70cm so I'm lucky when it comes to tents and leg room

Please login or register to view the image attached to this post.

Last edit: 15 Jun 2013 20:51 by intrepid. Reason: embedded attached image

More
14 Jun 2013 14:19 - 14 Jun 2013 14:20 #57319 by john mark 1
Replied by john mark 1 on topic Tents
I think the confusion about the 360 degrees Cool Mountain tents could be due to Outdoor Warehous's website. www.outdoorwarehouse.co.za/360-degrees-cool-mountain-2-extreme-3-person-4-season-hiking-tent.html

Over there, the title states its a Cool Mountain 2 , 3 persons tent and weighs 2.9kg, yet under features it says its a 2 man tent! :blink:
Last edit: 14 Jun 2013 14:20 by john mark 1. Reason: mistake

More