Tents

28 Oct 2010 15:15 #1975 by bigseb
Replied by bigseb on topic Re:Tents
homearanya wrote:

I, for example, don’t buy at Cape Union Mart as a principle.

Why? I hear this so often but no-one says why. I know their sales people aren't generally knowledgable of the products the sell but that doesn't make the product bad. Don't mean to step on your toes homearanya but I'd love to know specifically why you wouldn't support CUM.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
28 Oct 2010 21:15 - 29 Oct 2010 07:21 #1978 by homearanya
Replied by homearanya on topic Re:Tents
I guess it’s that fancy clothing at the entrance of their stores. That tells what their focus is: fashion. I don’t think they're passionate about outdoors. The few technical products like deuter or vaude backpacks / sleeping bags are at the very back of the store. I can’t tell you their K-way products are bad because I don’t use them, but I wouldn’t feel comfortable buying a rain jacket, or a tent for that matter, that I’m going to use on top of the escarpment that is made by the same guys that want to sell blouses. I might be wrong but as I said it’s a matter of principles. I’d rather buy at the local outdoor shop where their personnel know and use the products they sell and my support is much more needed.
Last edit: 29 Oct 2010 07:21 by homearanya.

More
29 Oct 2010 01:08 #1980 by Serious tribe
Replied by Serious tribe on topic Re:Tents
I would definitely try to get my money back on the tent. If you took some photos of the poles and sent that along to their management that might help.

It is a pity i am so far away in Sydney, because i have a v.good cadac isodome tent that i want to move. This is my second dome tent, and they are a excellent tent, perhaps a bit heavy but really strong.

We had gale force winds in the Lotheni area once, and whilst the tent would at times be forced near flat on the windward side, it bounced right back and held its shape with no damage to the poles or the structure. It was one of the maroon ones and was already 5 years old at that point. I sympathise with you.

More
29 Oct 2010 08:10 - 29 Oct 2010 08:12 #1981 by bigseb
Replied by bigseb on topic Re:Tents
homearanya wrote:

I guess it’s that fancy clothing at the entrance of their stores. That tells what their focus is: fashion. I don’t think they're passionate about outdoors. The few technical products like deuter or vaude backpacks / sleeping bags are at the very back of the store. I can’t tell you their K-way products are bad because I don’t use them, but I wouldn’t feel comfortable buying a rain jacket, or a tent for that matter, that I’m going to use on top of the escarpment that is made by the same guys that want to sell blouses. I might be wrong but as I said it’s a matter of principles. I’d rather buy at the local outdoor shop where their personnel know and use the products they sell and my support is much more needed.

Fair enough. Personally I don't mind the whole fashion thing. As long as the 'working' gear they sell is of good quality. The sales people - for the most part - are a joke so I find I have to do a ton of 'hands-on checking of quality' of anything I buy just to be sure, but then I do that anyway with everything I spend money, as should everyone else too.

BTW: I agree with Serious Tribe about getting your money back. Its worth a shot.
Last edit: 29 Oct 2010 08:12 by bigseb.

More
05 Nov 2010 15:42 #2005 by homearanya
Replied by homearanya on topic Re:Tents
Hello again,

I'm chuffed and happy to tell you that my E3 Escape is going to be replaced by a superior 4-season 2-man tent, at no extra cost. :laugh:

Last Monday I went back to the outdoor shop where I bought the tent from. They weren't very helpful at all and didn't want to know anything about the matter. I must say that I was a little disappointed as I've bought plenty of gear from them in the past. Also, from the end of the last year I've become a professional mountain guide, so I'm buying even more gear now. So much for supporting your local outdoor store.

Anyway, they told me all they could do was to send the tent back to the manufacturers in Cape Town (RAM mountaineering) but that it was going to be very unlikely to get anything positive from them.

When I got back home I wrote a very detailed email of the whole episode to RAM mountaineering.

A few days went by. I was losing hope and was about to give them a call when today I got their reply. I must say I was very impressed . They actually listened and took time to write a proper email to someone that was valued as a customer. Now, that's is what I call customer relationship. Guys, there's hope, there's still decent guys out thre.

I think it's worth showing their email:

Dear Carlos,

Thank you for the email string. It’s always good to get that big picture behind the queries that come our way. So in reply :

1. I’m sorry that the e3Gear Escape has disappointed you. It’s understandable that you will be upset.

2. The e3Gear tent range was introduced to provide a good quality offering in the more affordable bracket. It takes the place of the old Iso-series of tents which Cadac used to do & I believe offers many more features for the price (e.g the waterheads on the e3Gear tents are much higher than the Iso units). That said; in order to deliver tents at the prices we do – certain compromises must be made. The fabrics are heavier, the poles will not be as strong as the Easton or DAC poles used by the better known brands etc.

3. The Escape is given a 3 season rating because it is a big tent with a large surface area and quite a high profile and is equipped with a fairly light weight pole. If one was to build it for 4 season use we would have to change the geometry to make it lower and equip it with much more beefy poles and more guys. However that would make it even heavier and even at it’s current weight; most will think twice before humping it to the top of the ‘berg. That said – it is possible to get better performance out of the current unit by double poling it (i.e. buy an extra set of poles- and put two sets in).

4. For your purposes (and anyone doing high ‘berg stuff) I would recommend the Element as the unit of choice in the range. It has the design pedigree and the material spec’s to take the knock and has been used in places like Patagonia and Mt Blanc. Recognising of course that the ‘berg has a reputation for hectic wind and I know of many who have had serious damage done up there to even the best tents in the world. We once had a Bibler Bomb Shelter come in for repair – and when I enquired about the storm, I was shown pictures of all that was left of an Isodome pitched next door – tattered pieces of fabric hanging from a broken pole! So I am not saying that the Element will withstand all that the ‘berg has to offer!

5. If you want the strongest and lightest tents available – then the Black Diamond Bibler and the new Black Diamond 4 season Double lights (spec sheet attached) would be the way to go – but you are starting at R6400.00. Hillderberg makes awesome tents – but from my experience they are more expensive than Bibler.

6. as regards a solution to your current problem – assuming that the Escape is still in good condition except for the poles; we will be very happy to offer you a Element in place of the Escape – no extra charge except the courier fees.

In return we ask you to join www.on-the-edge.co.za community and contribute reviews etc. of the gear you are using. You could also create a profile for your company and link it your own website.

I look forward to hearing from you

Regards
Simon Larsen
Director
RAM Mountaineering

More
06 Nov 2010 00:18 #2007 by tiska
Replied by tiska on topic Re: Tents
Homearanya - thanks for posting all the details. I think it is an extraordinarily good response you got about the tent. In fact it must be one of the best responses I've seen. Hats off to them.

More
08 Nov 2010 13:45 #2009 by bigseb
Replied by bigseb on topic Re: Tents
Thanks Homearanya. I too had a look at the E3 Element Summit. Nice tent. Very heavy though :(

More
09 Nov 2010 07:58 #2010 by intrepid
Replied by intrepid on topic Re: Tents
Thats awesome news Homearanya and way to go RAM Mountaineering! Gear does fail, and what makes up for it is if the manufacturer steps up to plate.

Take nothing but litter, leave nothing but a cleaner Drakensberg.

More
15 Nov 2010 08:32 #2032 by Serious tribe
Replied by Serious tribe on topic Re: Tents
Yehaa....good news dude. If you don't squeak, you won't get oiled! That was a good response from them, I hope everything works out with the new tent

More
29 Nov 2010 12:03 #2057 by Balthazar1
Replied by Balthazar1 on topic Re: Tents
Hi all,
We are off to Grey's Pass- Lesley's in 2 weeks time... I did an equipment check: The seam tape of my Mweni tent has come loose. What is the best remedy to seal/re-tape this? The tent has not leaked in the past and has stood up well in some serious storms. I dont want to rush out an buy another tent just yet...

More