Hiking Boots

22 Sep 2008 18:05 #160 by Errol
Hiking Boots was created by Errol
Im looking at buying some hiking boots, currently I use a pair of low-cut Merrell Chameleons, which are great in dry conditions, but not so great in the snow (as I found out this last weekend...)
Interested to hear what boots you guys and girls use, and if you would buy them again...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
22 Sep 2008 20:43 #161 by intrepid
Replied by intrepid on topic Hiking Boots
Currently I alternate between 2 pairs depending on my mood and the hike etc. I have a pair of Salomon Revo SCS GTX's and a pair of La Sportiva Thunders.

La Sportivas are generally good, solid boots but I probably won't go for the Thunders again even though they are amonng the cheaper in the La Sportiva range. I found that mine took a bit of a beating fairly quickly, though they are still going. The grey strip above the sole gets scratched quite heavily in front, and I did also have to take them in for repairs once because the leather pulled away from the padding near the top. The scuff gaurd in front also tends to pull away from the leather a bit. Waterproofing not that satisfactory even though they are Gortex lined.

Salomon on the other hand I am very much a fan of. I enjoy the Revos. They are very light and remarkably strong, even though they are glued together (not stitched) and entirely synthetic. Surprisingly scuff resistant and good waterproofing. These I will buy again - there is an even lighter model out now.

I've seen Salomon Mega Trek's in action and reports indicate solid performance though they are heavier than the Revos.

Generally I would trust Montrails, La Sportiva, Boreal, North Face, Crispi and certain Merrells, but I would stay away from High-Tech as much as possible.

You should also invest in a decent pair of gaiters, as snow and rain find their way into your socks very quickly, even with good boots.

Take nothing but litter, leave nothing but a cleaner Drakensberg.

More
23 Sep 2008 09:13 #164 by Magan
Replied by Magan on topic Hiking Boots
La Sportiva Tibet ....... the Best i.t.o. grip, protecting my toes after some heavy smacks on boulders, on scrambles I trust them totally!!! Tho not totally "waterproof" on long boggy escarpment treks...

Initially it seemed a bit of a narrow fit, but after some use, excellent ...

More
22 Jan 2010 13:36 #909 by Safrican
Replied by Safrican on topic Hiking Boots
I'm in the market for a new pair of hiking boots for the Drakensburg and Kili.

Any recommendations?
Are the Merrel Switchback Gortex Boots any good?

I live in Johannesburg if that helps.

Thanks in advance

More
23 Jan 2010 09:58 #913 by Scag
Replied by Scag on topic Hiking Boots
The locally made Jim Green boots are really good. My brother and I have had ours for over 7 years, still going strong.

Not sure if you can get them in Jhb though.

More
25 Jan 2010 16:58 #915 by Christine
Replied by Christine on topic Hiking Boots
Try Drifters at Sandton City as they have a fairly extensive range and are knowledgable. They should be able to guide you on the best boot for your foot. You can contact them on 011 783 9200

More
26 Jan 2010 08:35 #917 by intrepid
My impression of the Merrel Swtichbacks is that they felt a bit heavy, though I have not used any myself.

Currently I think Salomon offer relatively affordable, light and comfortable hiking boots (like the Revos). As an alternative, if you are looking for something harder and non-synthetic then consider something like the LaSportiva Tibets (though quite pricy).

As for Gortex lining, I find that this simply slows down how quickly the boots get wet. It definitely does not keep your feet totally dry, no matter how many measures you put in place to prevent this. This is been my experience and observation across several different brands.

More
27 Jan 2010 16:58 #920 by Aux
Replied by Aux on topic Hiking Boots
Hi there all.

In my opinion if you do have the cash go for the LaSportiva Tibet, i have a pair and it is good. It stretches a bit and that is the only drawback. It works very well in snow and wet conditions. The best pair of boots i ever had was a pair of Tecnickas. Some of the Hitec boots are also good, but get something that is waterproof. I used a pair of Merrals for walking to and from climbing crags and i was not impressed. Have alook at the Montrail, it is a very good boot at a good price.

Just remember that you must be comfy with the boots and no 2 people have the same tipe of feet so you need to find what works for you. Get a pair of gaiters(snow) as that helps to keep your boots dryer for a little longer.

Hope it helps.

More
29 Jan 2010 11:17 #921 by Safrican
Replied by Safrican on topic Hiking Boots
Thanks for your responses.

I went to Drifters and spoke with a person who works there.

The La Sportiva Tibet is too expensive at R3 500, although they cost only R2 700 at mountainmailorder ( www.mountainmailorder.co.za/index.php?_a=viewProd&productId=640 )

I'm thinking of buying the La Sportiva Typhoon.

Thanks again.

More
29 Jan 2010 12:33 #922 by intrepid
Wow, the Tibets have broken the R3000 mark! That's ridiculously expensive! I remember them being around R1800. From what I've seen of various LaSportive models, most seem to be fine for hiking and the brand is reputable, so you are probably fine with the Typhoons. I currently also have a pair of Thunders, which have been comfortable, though the wear and tear on them was noticeable very quickly - they are not very tough and hardy.

More