Lotheni or Kamberg

21 Nov 2012 14:06 #55651 by plouw
Lotheni or Kamberg was created by plouw
I have never been to either of these two reserves. I want to explore it a bit in December and research the area for possible future escarpment trips. Which has the better one day walks and scenery, and chalet accomodation for that matter?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
21 Nov 2012 14:57 #55652 by JonWells
Replied by JonWells on topic Lotheni or Kamberg
Hi Plouw

I cant really comment on Lotheni, as I have yet to visit that area, but I did spend a weekend in Kamberg in May this year. Although its actually a fair distance to the escarpment (about 21km as the crow flies) the area is still very scenic.

We spent a night in Sinclairs cave along the route I was quite impressed by the wild, untouched river valleys. It could make a good day hike, but it does involve a 550m ascent, and the path does disappear in places.

If you arent looking for too much luxury, there is the option of staying in the research centre for about R80 a night if its not being used of course.

If you do end up going to Lotheni, just bear in mind there is quite a long section of dirt road which could get tricky if there is a lot of rain.
The following user(s) said Thank You: plouw

More
22 Nov 2012 06:59 #55661 by BobbyStanton
Replied by BobbyStanton on topic Lotheni or Kamberg
Kamberg is far from the escarpment but from Loteni you can get right in to the big stuff within a day. Lots of river crossings if you go north across the Loteni river, and the rivers will be flowing strongly in December. Both areas are very scenic and have few visitors.

More
23 Nov 2012 05:55 #55664 by Serious tribe
Replied by Serious tribe on topic Lotheni or Kamberg
Kamberg is great for mtb, but if it is scenery and hiking definitely Lotheni.

The road to Lotheni is not great though. If you have the option, access it via Underberg, as that side has slightly better road conditions and it is a shorter route. There are some great tarns on the contour path, images of them are on my book on chapter 7.

More
02 Aug 2018 08:26 #73772 by mike_crom
Replied by mike_crom on topic Lotheni or Kamberg
Hi guys, does anyone know what the state of the dirt road is like to the Lotheni resort? I just want to know if it is manageable for a car like a Ford Fiesta?
Thank you!
Mike.

More
02 Aug 2018 09:05 #73773 by ghaznavid
Replied by ghaznavid on topic Lotheni or Kamberg
I have done both the Notties and Impedle routes in my Etios without any issues. I see on your profile that you are coming from JHB, so you would be using the Notties route. There is a long section on dirt, so be prepared for some slow driving, but unless the road has deteriorated massively since I last did that route, you should be fine.
The following user(s) said Thank You: mike_crom

More
03 Aug 2018 06:32 #73779 by Fitness
Replied by Fitness on topic Lotheni or Kamberg
Hi Mike, i was at Lotheni 2 weeks ago, the road is ok, not fantastic but you'll be fine in your car. 

More
03 Aug 2018 08:02 #73780 by mike_crom
Thanks Ghaz and Fitness for your replies. I also emailed the Ezemvelo KZN Wildlife desk and they actually recommended the route from Underberg over the Nottingham route; but if you say the Nottingham route is ok, I'll just stick to that. 

More
03 Aug 2018 08:36 #73781 by GriffBaker
Replied by GriffBaker on topic Lotheni or Kamberg
One of my favourite roads to drive is the dirt section from Notties to Himeville. Love it, a beautiful part of the world. Have driven it in everything from a Toyota Yaris to a Nissan Patrol.

More
03 Aug 2018 09:07 #73782 by mike_crom
That's what I like to hear!

More