3 Day Hike from Sentinal Car Park

03 Mar 2016 23:11 #67268 by Minibo
Hi Guys

Need a little advice and tips. I’m planning a hike for 3 days 2 nights from Sentinel car park over the Easter Weekend. The idea is to stay the first night at the Tugel falls. Where to go from there for the second Night? It will be my hiking partner’s first hike up the Berg. GPS coordinates will be very helpful.

Thank You

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
04 Mar 2016 07:46 #67269 by ghaznavid
Welcome to VE :thumbsup:

Minibo wrote: The idea is to stay the first night at the Tugela falls.

Not a good spot to overnight - there have been various tent cuttings above the falls over the years. If you push a bit further south, over the small ridge towards the Bilanjil River (one river south of the Tugela), you should be fine.

As to what you could do for the second day - it depends on how fit you are. Ifidi Cave is always a lovely spot, but it does give you a longer walkout on day 3, and isn't far from where you will be on day 1. I am not sure on the exact distance, but I rate its about 16km from Ifidi Cave back to the car park.

More
07 Mar 2016 08:57 #67276 by Riaang
16,1km if you walk to the top of Ifidi ridge, then down in a semi circle to get a view down Icidi pass and head back via the Icidi valley. A bit shorter if you go straight back via the Ifidi valley.

More
10 Mar 2016 02:04 #67303 by Minibo
Hi

Thank you for the reply. I think day one we will take the long walk to Ifidi Cave and then work our way back to the car park. I’ve done a few overnight Hikes but this one will be my girlfriend’s first one.

A friend and I did overnight at the falls two years back with no incident but did some thread read ups going to avoid it and take your advice on Bilanjil River.

I wanted to do the num-num trail from the Thursday but she couldn’t get off… now it’s a mid week Oom Paul Trail for me. And I think she will enjoy the Berg much more…

Thank you again

More
23 Mar 2016 19:33 #67453 by vasbyt
Hi Minibo, we'll probably see you around up the top then. We're also planning on going from the ladders to Icidi / Ifidi cave the first night then heading back towards Ribbon Falls for a night then possibly Crows nest cave but I know it's dodgy. Didn't realise Bilani would be ok, so thanks it's good to know :)

More
30 Mar 2016 16:41 #67545 by Minibo
Hi Guys

Just wanted to give some feedback on the weekend. We never made it to Ifidi Cave. My girlfriend injured her problematic knee on the chain ladders. We made it up to the Bilanjil River. While we were sitting there in an already made wind shelter, we saw 3 locals walking to a few guys sitting to have a picnic on the edge of the mountain. The situation looked dodgy and very tense. When the locals moved away we went to talk to people. They said the locals were very arrogant and wanted to look through their bags demanding sweets. Nothing serous came from the situation. We tracked the locals and saw that they had a kraal in the area. We walked back to the Tugela Falls to find 4 rangers were posted in the Hut at the falls. We spent one night there with out any incidents. We were warned by the rangers to keep our bags and equipment inside the tent.

Thank you
The following user(s) said Thank You: Captain, andrew r, Biomech

More
06 May 2016 20:32 - 06 May 2016 20:34 #68296 by vasbyt
Evening everyone, sorry it's taken so long to give any feedback, it's been a hectic few months.

Our hike went really well (OK so I felt like I died a few times, I really need to work on my fitness sjoe!).

For me the worst was the walk to the chain ladders from there it was easy to Tugela river where we spent the first night. There were 4 armed guards that were not happy with us camping at all and really tried to convince us to stay in the hut with them.

All we did was make sure we all took a turn to do sentry duty from 9pm to 1am as they said that those were the problem times.

We headed for Ifidi cave the next morning but my husband chose to go the "scenic route" first. We came across a lot of herders and really wanted to get to the cave with the number of them and their livestock and dogs wondering around.

Unfortunately when we got to the area where the cave should be the entire valley looked inhabitted with cattle and sheep. We were approached by herdsman wanting cigarretes, sweets and their photograph taken. Fortunately I was way too tired and weary to haul out my big Nikon and just did a cell phone snap. I then told them to get lost in a not so friendly way. Needless to say we kept watch again that night. It was a lot easier with the full moon.

We headed straight back to Tugela Falls the next morning but followed the river back to the escarpment and then up and over coming out behind the hut. The guards were very happy to see us but not as happy as I was to get out of that wind.

The wind was really hectic and we couldn't even light our stoves for coffee on the third morning, a really terrible thing. We stayed in the hut that night and headed home the next morning.

I'm really relieved we didn't have any problems considering I had my daughter's and one of their boyfriends and a friend with. That would have just been awful.

I cannot believe how noisy and polluted it was up there with all the livestock, their bells and the dogs. So much for peace and quiet in the mountains.

I was really hoping to go back soon as I didn't get any of the images I wanted to. It was simply too wind to even contemplate putting up my tripod for sunrise. Now with all the problems I guess I'm going to just have to wait :(

Please login or register to view the images attached to this post.

Last edit: 06 May 2016 20:34 by vasbyt.
The following user(s) said Thank You: elinda, JonWells, Smurfatefrog, tonymarshall, Captain, saros, Biomech

More
04 Dec 2017 18:22 #72446 by Eurendur
So safety wise, it doesnt seem to be a good idea either way unless we are in a bigger group... THOUGH this post is from 2016 Riaan, what would you suggest is the best solution then...

And at the end, succumbing to the reality that you have been in the midst of Gods creation all along, is pure bliss.

More
05 Dec 2017 20:10 #72455 by Riaang
I would personally go to Ifidi cave. Nice easy walk out to the cave, far enough from the Tugela area so as not to be on the radar of suspicious persons.
However, if you are part of a bigger group then generally speaking even closer to the Tugela shouldn't be an issue. Just don't leave stuff lying around at night as they might not be there the next morning.

More
01 Mar 2018 07:13 #72879 by DorkyHero
Good morning everyone, I need some advice for this route.

We were originally going to be doing Mafadi this weekend but the weather looks a little wet so we’ve decided to head more North.

We’re on the upper side of fitness (One of our recent trips was from MCC up Ifidi and down Mbundini Abbey in 2 1/2 days).

With that in mind, what would a good option be for a 2 nighter from Sentinel car park?

I read previously that someone mentioned heading back via Icidi Valley... what contour does this route follow back to the car park?

Is there an possibility of accessing the area around Devil’s tooth for some scrambling etc?

Thanks guys, maybe see you in the mountains!

Matt

More