Hiking From Drakensberg Sun?

03 Jul 2017 08:25 #71813 by firephish
Hi Guys, I'm not that familiar with this area of the 'berg and was hoping someone could fill in some details.

If, for some reason, i wanted to start & end a hike around the Drakensberg Sun Hotel, what are the logistics:

Can you leave your car in the Drakensberg Sun parking lot?
Is there somewhere close by to have a shower afterwards?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
03 Jul 2017 13:59 #71819 by Macc
Replied by Macc on topic Hiking From Drakensberg Sun?
We left our car there last year on a hike so technically it is possible. Not sure about other people attempts, but if I had to do it again I would just park at Monk's Cowl and walk from there. I had to speak to 4 different people at Drak Sun and eventually someone said it would be alright, but we also had to pay an extra R50 per person as well as the whole process took an hour.

You could possibly just pull inot he parking lot and park near the top and then leave without telling anyone, but not sure that is very ethical.

Also the showers will be at Monks campsite, and you have to go there to sign the mountain register before and after.

"The three rules of mountaineering: It’s always further, taller and harder than it looks."
The following user(s) said Thank You: firephish

More
03 Jul 2017 15:12 - 03 Jul 2017 15:19 #71821 by Dave
Replied by Dave on topic Hiking From Drakensberg Sun?
If you do decide to leave from Drak Sun, don't bother trying to get any help out of the hiking lady there: she claims that Jacob's Ladder is closed, but it's absolutely fine. You can do two official routes from the hotel, the Lake Route or the Blue Grotto Route. Just say you're taking one of those, and the doormen will point you in the right direction (it was amusing that no questions were asked when we ostensibly set out for a half-day hike with fully-loaded packs - though I should add that this was part of an EKZNW-approved hike). The way to Jacob's Ladder is via the Lake Route; then follow the dirt road to the head of the valley and try to find the path that crosses the saddle. Otherwise, I'm told you can go up through Bergview Chalets and take a contour path all the way along to Jacob's Ladder. Using Jacob's Ladder to reach the Vaalribbokkop area would be the only reason to leave from Drak Sun, as far as I can see. The route offers expansive views of the Culfargie area. But, as Macc said, one should sign the mountain register, which will mean two trips to Monk's Cowl anyway, not that it will be hugely time-consuming to do so. It's unfortunate that the hotel doesn't have its own mountain register, as Jacob's Ladder is the shortest route to that very pleasant part of the Little Berg.
Last edit: 03 Jul 2017 15:19 by Dave. Reason: Afterthought
The following user(s) said Thank You: firephish

More
04 Jul 2017 06:59 #71822 by firephish
Thanks, yes wanting to access Hospitalspruit/Vaalribbokkop area via jacobs ladder.

More
03 Aug 2018 20:58 #73784 by HikerParsons
Hallo

Has anyone attempted to hike from the Drakensberg Sun to Stable Cave via Jacob's ladder?

Does anyone have gps coordinates for this route or a photo of Jacob's ladder?

Any suggestions for a two day hike from the hotel and back will be appreciated.

Regards

More
05 Aug 2018 20:46 #73785 by Papa Dragon
Hiker,
Give me a call on o ate too, double 3 4 six 122, and I'll explain route to you..

More
06 Aug 2018 07:48 #73786 by PeterHowells

HikerParsons wrote: Hallo

Has anyone attempted to hike from the Drakensberg Sun to Stable Cave via Jacob's ladder?

Does anyone have gps coordinates for this route or a photo of Jacob's ladder?

Any suggestions for a two day hike from the hotel and back will be appreciated.

Regards

Yep, that's an easy 2 day hike with great views. I have attached the Garmin track that I used. Trying to get anything out of Drak Sun staff however is a major lesson in frustration. I suggest you sign in at Monks Cowl and then just park at Drak Sun, tell them you are going hiking, and leave.

Please login or register to view the file attached to this post.

The following user(s) said Thank You: HikerParsons

More