Eastman's Ridge camping spots

09 Nov 2017 09:20 #72334 by Riaang
Riaang created the topic: Eastman's Ridge camping spots
I am looking for a suitable camping spot somewhere between Eastman's ridge and Gatberg.
We'll start the day from Didima cave and will descend via Tlanyaku pass. We'll then go over Eastman's ridge and link up with the contour path to Gatberg at C15. I don't see any camping spots indicated on the map on this 13km stretch until you go around Gatberg and then link up just before Hlathikulu Nek at M1.

This stretch is about 30km's on the map, and in my experience the distances on the maps genrally underread, i.e. we are in for further than 30km's :-) Not sure that everybody in my group would be able to cover this distance on this day.

Does any of you know of a spot or spots to pitch a couple of tents between Eastman's Ridge and Gatberg?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
09 Nov 2017 11:20 #72336 by Stijn
Stijn replied to: Eastman's Ridge camping spots
On the old maps you'll see 2 campsites marked Gatberg North and South, with a long contour around Gatberg between them. The Gatberg North campsite may be pretty overgrown by now but should be in a good spot for you?

More
09 Nov 2017 13:14 - 09 Nov 2017 13:24 #72338 by diverian
diverian replied to: Eastman's Ridge camping spots
We found this spot

We did the same trip , but went the long way around past Sibayeni Cave, Would be interested in a track of the other route over the ridge . If my memory serves me correctly we did see the path on the other side and I marked C14 where it joined in S29 02.005 E29 16.853

The path was seriously overgrown in some spots

Please login or register to view the images attached to this post.

Last Edit: 09 Nov 2017 13:24 by diverian.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dave

More
09 Nov 2017 13:58 #72339 by Riaang
Riaang replied to: Eastman's Ridge camping spots
@ Stijn: I only have the maps they sell at the campsites shops, not sure if these are the same as the 'old' maps you are referring to. You don't perhaps have the coordinates of the Gatberg North camsite? or could you roughly indicate on the current maps roughly where I can expect to find it?

@Diverian: Wow, that is serious bundu bashing! Ships Prow 2, here we come :-). Was that pic taken on the long way round route you followed?
Same question as above, you don't perhaps have the coordinates of the campsite where you pitched your tent? Was this picture taken from the southern side of Gatberg?

Regards
Riaan

More
09 Nov 2017 14:32 #72340 by diverian
diverian replied to: Eastman's Ridge camping spots
@Riaang Ja the bush was quite thick, that was in the the cutbacks into the valleys nearer to the Gatberg end of the path, so you will definitely experience it , unless the area has burnt since then.Unfortunately I didn't mark the campsite probably as it wasn't the best area ever but had a nice view , I usually do but , it was definitely on the North side just past the last valley probably around S29 02.209 E29 20.609, I did have a co-ord for a Gatberg North Campsite but there was nothing suitable in that area.

More
09 Nov 2017 14:37 #72341 by DesPorter
DesPorter replied to: Eastman's Ridge camping spots

More
09 Nov 2017 17:15 #72342 by Stijn
Stijn replied to: Eastman's Ridge camping spots
@Riaan - I see Des has replied with a copy of the old maps - simply marked "campsite" on there. But as Diverian has suggested, pretty sure that's in one of the river sections which is now overgrown and probably not useable anymore. We last used it 15 years ago!

More
09 Nov 2017 21:22 #72343 by Sterkhorn
Sterkhorn replied to: Eastman's Ridge camping spots
@Riaan - I was in the area in May of this year. The picture that Diverian shows seems to be the same site that I used (not bad for a couple of tents and near water). It is situated a little south of the north "campsite" shown on the map, over the ridge and in the next river course. The north "campsite" is overgrown. The overgrowth that Diverian shows is quite thick and unpleasant, but there is at least a path through it. The rest of the contour path along that section is actually quite pleasant.

Looking towards Gatberg

Looking towards Eastman's - see the path going over the ridge and into the valley of the north "campsite"

View down to north "campsite" valley and path over ridge down to new campsite

View down to new campsite with north "campsite" valley behind us

More
10 Nov 2017 08:34 #72344 by Riaang
Riaang replied to: Eastman's Ridge camping spots
Awesome, thanks a lot guys!!

Really looking forward to explore this area, only been down to Zulu cave in the lower berg in this region.
Last question, how is the path over Eastmans' Ridge? Is there vertical drop-offs on the East side of the ridge? Seems like the more vertical sections are closer to the Gatberg area. Just wondering if the path is non-existent where I can go over the ridge.

More
10 Nov 2017 20:06 #72345 by Sterkhorn
Sterkhorn replied to: Eastman's Ridge camping spots
I have not done the route over Eastman's, but the path was visible from the contour path and did not seem to have any drop-offs or exposure on the Gatberg side from what I could see.

More