4 day hike Southern Drakensberg

15 Apr 2018 14:27 #73207 by mshaheed
Hello everyone

I am new to this forum, in fact just registered ;). excited to be with like minded souls so bear with me.

I am from the mother city and looking at doing a 4 day hike in April 20??. i have never been to this area and would appreciate any advise/suggestion/comments,

My thoughts briefly is to do a 4 day circular route with a group of 10/12.
Start: Vergelegen off
Ascend via Mkhomazi pass
Summit Thabana Ntlenyana
Descend Sani pass

?'s
1) access to Vergelegen reserve by kombi. how is the road and the driving distance thereto.
2) is the hike doable within 4 days.
3) is there a marked trail or do we navigate as we go along.
4) topography of the route/area (can maps be trusted vs word of mouth :)
5) where to pitch tent the first night vs do we push for the top and then pitch.
6) is the track on top to Thabana defined.
6) similarly the return to Sani
7) or any other information that i have not thought/omitted.

I hope i have managed to make some sort of sense.

Thank you I await your response

Kind regards

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 Apr 2018 09:42 #73209 by diverian
Hi mshaheed and welcome to VE. I last did that hike 5 years ago, except we returned via Ka-Ntuba pass.

I will try to answer some of yours questions. Vergelegen is exactly that ! Far from anywhere and as a result not often visited.

1. Access. The road was very rough and runs in most places very close to the river and is prone to flooding. It has been very wet and still is in the berg in general so my guess would be that the road would be very difficult to negotiate in any vehicle.
2. The hike is doable in 4 days
3. The trails are pretty no existent in most areas and not marked. The first stretch to Birds Nest cave is not too bad and there are some trails in the upper parts of the pass.
4.Would recommend GPS you are welcome to message me for some tracks.
5. We did 1st night at Birds Nest cave as part of the party were setting out quite late.
6. There are pretty defined paths around Thabana and back to Sani

Hope that helps you

More
16 Apr 2018 11:17 #73210 by Richard Hunt
Agree Diverian.... the road to Vergelegen will be bad after all the rains we have had recently. Even during normal conditions it is rough for a bakkie and I would not attempt it with a Kombi. One could go to Lotheni and go up Hlatimba Pass which would add on 10kms + to reach top of Mkhomazi Pass.

More
16 Apr 2018 14:08 #73212 by mshaheed
Hello guys

Thank you both. If the road is that bad we could end up not going due transport concerns. Thats a let down. Nevertheless im sure them tracks will come in handy. Will msg you a bit later for it.

Regards

More