Giants and Lotheni Passes loop

09 Jun 2018 16:53 #73582 by Sabine
I would like to go up Giants Pass and down Lotheni, then walk around the lower Berg back to Giants car park.  Has anyone done this route and how many days would you suggest? 

I have tried to find the route from the bottom of Lotheni around the mountain back to Giants Castle car park on google earth, but there are sections where I just cannot see a track.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 Jun 2018 11:04 #73583 by AndrewP
Elandshoek Pass would make for an easier loop...

More
10 Jun 2018 12:33 #73585 by ghaznavid
I agree with Andrew - Elandshoek puts you at the top of Taylor's Pass. But if you are adamant that you want to do Lotheni Pass, consider doing it from Lotheni instead. Then you would head up Taylor's Pass, contour path to Giants Pass and follow the Lotheni River back to Lotheni camp. Giants and Lotheni Pass are both pretty average pass in terms of difficulty - so how many days depends on what you normally would do in a day. Getting around Giants is far, though, so be prepared for a lot of distance on the contour path.

More
10 Jun 2018 20:16 #73586 by Richard Hunt
@Sabine....yes u could come down Lotheni Pass and connect into Elandshoek Valley over Gibisele Ridge, go up till the bottom of Elandshoek Pass then go along under the Gables and onto the contour path back to G Castle or go down Elandshoek Pass which would be easier. Lotheni Pass route would be more interesting, all depends on how many days u want to do it in? I could email u directions if u want.

More
11 Jun 2018 12:28 #73592 by Sabine
Will mail you Richard.  Thanks for your input all

More
12 Jun 2018 14:11 #73594 by ivan
Replied by ivan on topic Giants and Lotheni Passes loop
Hi Sabine

ask Neil Ransome from tte  jhc !
I did Grays Pass recently  saw your  name  in the  register  from  earlier  in the year!
Regards
Ivan 

More
14 Jun 2018 09:09 #73597 by Sabine
Thanks Ivan.  Neil will probably be on that hike as well.  Its always good to have tracks in addition.

More
14 Jun 2018 16:00 #73598 by ivan
Replied by ivan on topic Giants and Lotheni Passes loop
Hi Sabine

sounds  like a good hike  .by the way  do you use a a white gas stove for cold winter camping?
cheers
ivan

More
15 Jun 2018 07:58 #73601 by Sabine
@Ivan, I use my jetboil all year round and put my gas canister into my sleeping bag at night to keep it warm.  Before I use it i shake the canister to mix the propane and butane as they tend to separate in the cold.

More