Methanol for hiking stove

08 Aug 2018 08:47 #73801 by vivo101
Does anyone know where I can get methanol for a hiking stove in Pretoria ? Thanks in advance

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
08 Aug 2018 17:57 #73802 by Captain
Replied by Captain on topic Methanol for hiking stove
Methylated spirits can be bought at most hardware stores and pharmacies

More
09 Aug 2018 09:02 #73804 by Herman
Replied by Herman on topic Methanol for hiking stove
There are people in the MCSA Magalies section (Pretoria) who sometimes buy pure methanol in bulk from chemical suppliers for their own stoves, and sell the rest at about R15/litre to other members. But I doubt if they would sell it commercially; it isn't a business or anything.

I suspect you would be able to do the same and sell some of it to other VE members in the area. You could also maybe ask CityRock in Joburg if they would buy it to resell and offset your cost.

Methanol burns much cleaner than the purple stuff (and is cheaper), so definitely the way to go. Just put it in a fuel bottle so that you don't
drink it by accident.

More
09 Aug 2018 10:09 #73805 by AdrianT
Replied by AdrianT on topic Methanol for hiking stove
I have used benzine for years. Burns super clean and even if you fly somewhere, you pop down to the local Spar and buy a bottle. 

More
09 Aug 2018 11:07 #73807 by Herman
Replied by Herman on topic Methanol for hiking stove
@AdrianT are you referring to using Benzine in an alcohol stove (Storm Cooker / Trangia / can-stove)? I just tried it and it seemed very sooty to me. Big yellow flames. Benzine also seems a lot more flammable to me than methanol. It reminds me of petrol (which is probably why you can use petrol in some multifuel stoves)?

More
09 Aug 2018 11:21 #73808 by AdrianT
Replied by AdrianT on topic Methanol for hiking stove

Herman wrote: @AdrianT are you referring to using Benzine in an alcohol stove (Storm Cooker / Trangia / can-stove)? I just tried it and it seemed very sooty to me. Big yellow flames. Benzine also seems a lot more flammable to me than methanol. It reminds me of petrol (which is probably why you can use petrol in some multifuel stoves)?

No MSR Dragonfly. It is very flammable yes. I guess Vivo101 never defined "hiking stove", and I only assumed :) 

More