Choke stone on Corner pass

01 Oct 2018 21:53 #74068 by Brueton
Hi All, 

We attempting Mafadi Peak this coming wend. Injasuthi via Judge or Corner  and down Leslies. 
My question is: how bad is the scramble/climb at the choke stone on Corner pass? One of our crew has a major fear of heights etc? Is it difficult to climb or have some exposed elements? 
Any pics would be great too thanks.  

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
01 Oct 2018 22:49 #74069 by Smurfatefrog
I suggest reading my report from August for a good idea, I assume you've seen the snow forecast for this week?
www.vertical-endeavour.com/forum/8-drakensberg-hiking/53639-corner-pass-judge-pass,-mafadi,-leslie-s-pass-loop.html?start=60#73835

More
02 Oct 2018 09:44 #74074 by Riaang
Replied by Riaang on topic Choke stone on Corner pass
@ Brueton, it's a fairly straight forward and easy climb in good conditions. Not very high with good hand and footholds. However, in inclement weather (i.e. wet rock) things can be a bit more tricky, mostly at the base of the climb. Have done it in snow as well, which make it even trickier as you will struggle to find grip for your boots - my boots kept slipping off the sloping rock. 

If somebody can keep your feet in place by standing below you and you can step on their hands then it's much easier. Still, the risk of slipping and sliding off is real enough - one of the guys in our group unfortunately experienced a slip and slide. Seeing as it is at the base of the chockstone the slide is only about 3m long (and high!) but you can still get injured.

My suggestion is that if you want to go up it, make sure you take some rope to hoist packs and assist people in getting up. You would need somebody in your group that is strong and confident enough to get to the top, then you are ok. However, there is a lot of snow forecasted for the next few days which could make things "interesting". Judges pass is a safer, easier option, and not much further away.

More
02 Oct 2018 09:55 #74075 by Brueton
Replied by Brueton on topic Choke stone on Corner pass
Thanks for the great report! 

More
02 Oct 2018 09:58 #74077 by Brueton
I'm thinking from what you sayimg that with the forecast to rather go for Judges.  
A person with a fear of heights is real and it would be way worse to get there and have to turn back. 
Thx 

More
02 Oct 2018 11:41 #74079 by supertramp
Having done that choke stone twice during inclement weather (once with Riaang in super icy conditions and the other during a rain storm)  I second what Riaang is saying and advise to consider going up Judges (based on your friend's fear of heights & the weather forecast)

More
02 Oct 2018 12:57 - 02 Oct 2018 14:43 #74080 by vivo101
Replied by vivo101 on topic Choke stone on Corner pass

@ Brueton I agree with all that has been said thus far. The photo shows the choke stone you need to get over, with the route on the right (black arrow). We also did the route in thick snow and I had to climb it without protection in order to get the rope up (It was very dodgy as you're feet has no grip on the Icy rocks as mentioned already). There is also the fact that it took us as a group of 6 nearly 60min to haul all the packs and people over it, all the while you stand in icy wind in the shade. The pass also has a small chimney at its top , where we once again had to haul packs and people, as there was no proper footholds in the chimney. If i recall correctly it took us nearly 5 hours to do the pass ( entering from the northern high approach).  So I would also suggest rather opting form Judges. Also do not underestimate the walk from the pass summit to Injasuti Summit cave (If you are sleeping there), it is quite a slog in the snow, so leave early if you are sleeping at centenary hut.  

Please login or register to view the image attached to this post.

Last edit: 02 Oct 2018 14:43 by JonWells.

More
04 Oct 2018 07:50 #74089 by Brueton
Thanks all. Great info. 

Is there a water source close to summit cave? 

More
04 Oct 2018 09:06 #74090 by vivo101
Replied by vivo101 on topic Choke stone on Corner pass
There is a water source (river) in the escarpment valley just below the summit cave. Water was flowing steadily in mid-winter.

More